➳ chapter seventeen

Cracking her fingers after hours of typing on the computer, a yawn escaped Minhee's lips as she darted her gaze at the down corner of her screen to see the time indicating it was almost 2, midnight

Cracking her fingers after hours of typing on the computer, a yawn escaped Minhee's lips as she darted her gaze at the down corner of her screen to see the time indicating it was almost 2, midnight. It didn't really matter what time it was as it was the weekend and nothing mattered more than completing all her school work.

Minhee decided to take a break and went down to the kitchen to find something to eat for a snack. When she entered, she halted for a second at the sight of her grandfather's statue that sat on the chair, sipping on a hot cup of tea.

"Harabeoji, why are you still up?"

The elder whipped his head back in shock at the voice that spoke behind him. "Oh, sugar.." He breathed as he acknowledge the lass's presence. "Your grandpa just couldn't sleep."

"Why?" Minhee asked as she roamed through the kitchen to the refrigerator to find a potential stomach-filler. "It's very unlikely of you to stay late, Harabeoji." She glanced at him as she took a pack of rice cracker before sitting down at the chair in front of her grandfather.

"Well... I just have a lot in mind."

"Hm? Like what?"

He only smiled at Minhee, mind fixated on not telling her what really was bothering him. Peeking at the stairs right out of the kitchen entrance, the elder faced his granddaughter again and released a deep, determined sigh.

"Is something wrong?" Minhee worriedly asked. Her brows twitched when her grandfather released yet another deep sigh as if he had already made up his mind that moment, and leant closer to the table.

"Your grandmother's leaving later."

"Leaving? Leaving to where? Wait, did you guys fight?"

"No, we're okay, sugar. Actually not so much. But that isn't the point..." He paused and Minhee dug holes into her grandfather's head. "She's going to Canada... to check on your mother."

"I'm coming too." The girl's expression blanked as her tone flowed persistent as if nothing's going to stop her. But her grandfather opposed.

"No. You will stay here with your brother."

"Harabeoji, please. I want to know how they are. Maybe I can do something. Maybe if they see us, they'll remember..." Minhee was desperate. She wanted nothing but to see her parents well and together. And now that she felt like she was this close to getting to them, so did her hopes of bringing her family together.

"Minhee, I didn't tell you this so you would take action." Inguk sat straight up again. "I only intended to tell you this for you to know that we will try, in our best will, to help your parents. I'm just asking you to be patient, wait, and pray for them right now." The elder didn't know what scenario they will be faced when they get there, and it was best that them adults handle this.