➳ chapter twenty-three

"So, Mr Choi and I agreed to have you create a pair project wherein you'll incorporate our previous lessons in English, and your Arts lessons for this quarter's final output

"So, Mr Choi and I agreed to have you create a pair project wherein you'll incorporate our previous lessons in English, and your Arts lessons for this quarter's final output." Whispers and ruckus arose at Ms Jang's announcement.

"Listen. Each pair must choose a movie and create a video essay, or simply put: a reflection about it. The submission is on Friday. Is that clear?" The students continued the whispers, making the teacher click her lips in exasperation. "Am I clear?" She repeated.

"Yes!"

"Good."

"Since I don't want anyone complaining to me about me choosing the wrong partner for you, I'll leave it to the Fates' hands instead." She brought out a glass fish bowl where folded pieces of paper were put inside.

"You've got to be kidding me."
"I swear if I'm partnered with Kyungju, I'll raise hell."
"Final project when the exams are literally waving at us? Give me a break..."
"It's always Mr Choi."
"Bestie, ayo."
"Ayo."
"I just want to sleep..."

"Jaemin, I hope we'd be partners!"

The boy forced a smile at the girl flashing him a beam, reaching for his arm and deliberately invading his much needed personal space. For the previous times, he didn't want to be rude and tried to pull off the nice guy card. But now he had lost giving a damn. And so he stood up and pulled Donghyuk up to switch seats with him.

"What're you..." Donghyuk couldn't do anything and just found himself seated next to Hwayoung whose shoulders slumped at Jaemin's doing.

Feeling awkward at the suddeness, Donghyuk sent Hwayoung a smile to which she ignored, crossing her arms over her chest. Embarrassed, the boy rubbed his nape, gaze flickering forward and towards the girl who was sat across Jaemin he caught glancing at him.

Geurim immediately turned her head away when their eyes met, her cheeks reddening by the second.

Gotcha. A smirk lined his lips. Why did that look cute? Why is she cute?

"Heol... no way," he whispered, bewildered at his own thoughts.

"What?" Jaemin turned to him, a sharp look on his eyes. Donghyuck shook his head, dismissing him.

"Pass this around." Ms Jang instructed as she gave the bowl to the first student on the first row.

A sigh left Minhee's lips as she removed her gaze from the container that's on the hands of the those at the first row, and rested her face against her arm that was draped over her desk.

"Why do they have to add another workload when we're supposed to be focusing on reviewing for the exams...?"

Geurim huffed. "I know, right? They must think we're some machines."

Minhee groaned, shutting her eyes for a moment to rest. "I'm not expecting us to be partners but that'd be great if we were."

Geurim bobbed her head. "As long as I'm not paired with Hyuck." Minhee's eyes fluttered open at the girl's words.