Chapter 4 - Part 2

Reluctantly, she stepped away from the window to answer it.

"Hello?"

"After you freshen up," an unfamiliar woman's voice instructed. "Please come to the west wing on the topmost floor at sharp eight thirty. You are to join sir for breakfast."

Before Jennie could reply, the woman on the line cut the call.

Wondering who the woman was, Jennie's mind reluctantly fell on the 'hideous, ugly monster'. Dammit! She thought she'd get at least a few hours before she mentally prepared herself for the elaborate charade with the royal prince.

Letting out a deep sigh, she went to one of the suitcases placed neatly in a corner. She opened one randomly and took out a dress. It looked quite formal.

Although she wanted to wear something comfortable and casual, she knew she couldn't. She didn't need to impress the royal prince, but at the same time she couldn't raise any suspicion. 

She only had twenty minutes to get ready for her breakfast appointment.

As soon as she pushed the door open, the enormous size of the bathroom made her eyes widen. The bathtub looked as though it could fit a dozen people. Before she ended up exploring the various gleaming fixtures and bottles like a kid in a candy shop, she went into the shower cubicle and took a quick shower.

Ten minutes later, she hurriedly slipped into a long, pale blue dress. It was simple yet pretty and so far removed from the sheer, glittering dresses she wore while performing at the events. Sukanya was slightly skinnier than her, so the dress was a snug fit at the chest and hips.

She stood in front of the mirror and looked at herself. She looked stressed and worried and had dark circles under her eyes. With a great effort, she put on a fake, wide smile.

"Good morning, Mr. Kim... I mean... your highness... I mean your royal prince. Dammit!" She had no idea how to address the man. Oh God! She was going to be thrown out on her first day!

It's okay. Relax. Deep breaths. And this is nothing compared to what you went through yesterday.

She took a few deep breaths before her heart rate came back to normal.

When she looked at the clock, she realized she only had five minutes left for the breakfast appointment. So, holding her long dress up slightly, she hurried out of the suite.

Top floor, west wing. She had no idea which direction was west. Deciding to figure it out, she took the stairs and went to the top floor.

The place was like a maze. She stood on the gleaming marble foyer, trying to gauge the direction of west when she heard something.

She followed the sound. It was a strange, rhythmic sound as though something was being hit repeatedly. "Hello?" she called out.

One of the doors was partially open, and she could smell the faint yet distinctive smell of an antibacterial disinfectant. When she peeped in, she noticed a mid-size gym with various exercise machines. She knew she was in the wrong place, but she went inside to ask for directions.

It was dark inside with only dim lighting coming from the corners of the heavy drapes covering the windows. Her eyes fell on to the back of a tall, broad, muscular man who was hitting a punching bag. He was grunting and hitting it hard. There was just enough light for her to see an impressive display of sleek muscles on his back and upper arms.

Was he one of the staff in the mansion? She hadn't seen anyone in the hallways, but she was sure that a place like this would require dozens of people to maintain it.

"Excuse me?" she called out softly, not wanting to startle him.

The man didn't hear her. He was busy beating the crap of the punching bag.

"Excuse me, sir," she asked again in a slightly louder tone.

Immediately the punching stopped, and the man held the heavy bag still.

"Sir, can you please direct me to the west wing on this floor?"

She thought he couldn't hear her and was about to repeat when he spoke.

"Who the bloody fuck let you in here," he said in a low growl.

Jennie was immediately taken aback by his tone and rudeness. "I'm... a guest here," she said. "I arrived here this morning."

"I don't give a fuck of who you are. Get out of here," he ordered in a threatening tone.

Jennie felt a bolt of alarm along with anger. But anger won. What was his problem?

"There's no need to be rude. All I asked you to do is to tell me where—" She broke off in a gasp when the man suddenly turned.

"Tell me... where..." She couldn't stop her eyes from moving all over his face.

She was shocked. Half of the man's face was stunning with dark, intense eyes, sharp nose, high cheekbones and well-shaped lips. But the other half was scarred 

She stared at him while he glared at her with blazing eyes.

"Get out," he snapped.

"I... I..." She didn't know what to say. So, with shaking legs, she hurried out of the room. Her heart thudded hard inside her chest as she ran through the hallway and went down the stairs. She continued to run until she reached the ground floor, and then past the water fountain and then into the gardens.

She stopped when she reached a tall tree and leaned against it, panting hard and trying to pull her thoughts together. Slowly, her breaths calmed and rational thought returned to her. She had run, not because of the man's face, but because she realized whom she had just met.

It was him. The hideous monster. The royal prince for whom she was to pretend she was his arranged, prospective bride.