Chapter 17 - Part 2

"Tae," There was an obvious concern in his sister, Tzuyu's tone over the phone. "Aunt Hana is trying even harder to convince the board you are not qualified to head the trust."

Taehyung remained quiet.

"Tae..." Tzuyu's voice gentled. "We've been through this. You are not responsible for what happened to Eunwoo. Aunt Hana can't keep holding that fact over you for the rest of her life."

He didn't agree with his sister. He was every bit responsible for what happened.

"Tae, please think about coming."

"I'll think about it," he said before ending the call.

He stared blankly outside the window at the huge, barren tree.

A click of the door interrupted his thoughts. He turned to see Jennie's smiling face peeking through the door.

"Dinner is ready, your highness," she said, stepping in with a cheeky grin before pushing the food cart into the suite.

He stared at her while she arranged the dishes on the table.

It was impossible to think that someone like her would want someone like him. The zeal and zest towards life were like a live aura around her. Based on what he knew about her background, things never came to her easily. She had to fight for them constantly. Then why did she want someone like him?

Yes, money was a powerful factor as to why she was with him. But somehow he was beginning to suspect that money wasn't all that made her be with him. 

"You are a cold, selfish bastard with no mercy! I hope one day a woman stomps on your shriveled heart, making you beg for her affection. And I hope she leaves you eventually, breaking your heart!"

Memories from his past echoed in his head. He recalled mocking the woman who had shouted those words at him as a curse. 

He didn't believe in curses. But if he ever did, he somehow knew that the woman next to him would be the one to stomp on his shriveled heart and leave him heartbroken.