Chapter 20 - Part 2

Two months later...

Jennie danced in fast, smooth movements to the music.

She was performing at a formal corporate event. Unlike before, when she had performed mostly at bachelor parties, there were no whistles or hoots from the crowd, but everyone's eyes were still on her.

And unlike before, she didn't allow her mind to wander. She stayed completely focused on the task at hand. She knew very well where her mind would take her if she let it free. And that would only lead her to a complete breakdown.

With raised hands, she was about to twirl when a sudden shiver took her by surprise. Her skin broke out in goosebumps as she felt someone's eyes on her. Without pausing, she continued to turn in slow circles, trying to push away the strange, irrational feeling of someone watching her.

There were at least a hundred pairs of eyes on her, and she was used to many more over the last three years. But still, her neck would not stop prickling with awareness.

Taking a deep breath, she moved faster as the music picked up speed. She continued until with one last twirl, and with her arms outstretched above her, she came to a dramatic stop.

Claps filled the air without hoots or brazen propositions.  She straightened to thank them.

"Thank you," she said with a smile and was about to add more when her smile froze completely.

Some of the lights were turned back on. And among the audience, sitting very still within the shadows and with his eyes focused on her, was the man she desperately tried not to think about the last two months.

The man who held the power to blow every resolution she had to pieces.

Panicking, she turned and rushed out of the room. She went through the back entrance and ran into the changing room before closing the door shut.

Her heart began to pound as she leaned against the door.

Oh God! Why was he here?

Her eyes stung as she recalled some of the vicious words she had written to him in a letter before leaving him.

... your aunt has offered me money and I have decided to cut my losses regarding trapping you into marriage and take her money instead...

... all the mansions in the world cannot make me tolerate your looks for the rest of my life...

... I need to be with someone cheerful, who isn't drowning in self-regret while trapping me inside a dreary mansion...

Tears streamed down her eyes at the thought of him reading her letter. She had been harsh and cruel, hitting him where most of his insecurities lay. But it was the only way to stop him from ever wanting her again or coming after her.

A knock on the door made her jump. Her heart almost pounded out of her chest at the thought of facing him.

"Jennie?"

It was Dong-Hyun's voice.

"Jennie. Jackson sir wants to speak with you now. He says it's urgent and to get you right away." Jackson was the event manager.

Wanting to escape from the possibility of having to confront the man whose heart she had broken, she followed Dong-Hyun hurriedly. 

She held the ends of the jacket together vaguely wondering why she was summoned. Did the event manager want to fire her?

"Good evening, Jennie." Jackson, the event manager, was waiting outside the conference room.

"Hello, sir," she greeted back.

"Jennie. The owner of the hotel would like to have a word with you."

"Why?" she asked.

"I'm not exactly sure. But I'm assuming it's to have you sign a contract for exclusivity and other terms."

Jennie's stomach sank slightly. She knew she couldn't sign such a contract. Although she didn't perform anywhere else, she still preferred to control when and which events she performed.

She took a deep breath. She didn't care whether or not she could keep the job. If not this job, she'd find some other way to earn money. She just wanted to get it over with.

Taking another deep breath, she pushed open the heavy door of the conference room and stepped inside. It was a huge, dimly-lit room with a table at the center where at least fifty people could be seated. But the owner was nowhere to be found.

Frowning, Jennie looked around, and her heart nearly leaped out of her chest when she found the man. Standing near the huge glass wall and looking at the city lights—was her beast.