Chapter 9

Over the next few days, Jennie did everything possible to get the beast's attention and apologize.

The first morning, she went to the gym just before the beast's breakfast time. But once he saw her, his expression turned cold, and he went into his suite and slammed the door shut.

One morning, she saw a large group of workers around the barren tree. And when she saw their movements, she broke into a run.

"What are you doing!" she shouted.

They were pulling away or rather butchering the beautiful flowering bushes she had planted over the ten days.

"Stop it!" she begged. "Why are you doing this?"

One of the workers looked apologetic. "Sorry, madam. Sir ordered us to clear up these flowering bushes."

"Who?" she asked. "And why?" Who would pass such a terrible order!

The workers continued to dig in a hurry. "Taehyung sir. He didn't like to see colors outside his window."

Tears pricked the back of her eyes as she stood watching helplessly while the beautiful plants she had planted were being butchered to cater to some asshole prince's sadistic whims. Something snapped inside her.

Not wanting to continue standing helplessly, she marched inside the mansion with determination. To the hell with being nice and polite to him. She was driven purely by anger. By the time she reached the top and strode purposefully towards the west wing, she was shaking in anger and frustration at the arrogant beast.

"I have something to say. The plants I had planted over the last ten days... you ordered the gardeners to remove them. I want you to tell them to keep them and not destroy them."

The beast looked unmoved as he spoke in a low, scary tone. "Who the hell do you think you are to tell me what I should and should not be doing in my garden?"

"I... I... I'm a guest here and your... your... prospective bride." She didn't know what else to say.

"Before you arrived, your father told me explicitly that you would do anything I ask you to do while you are here. Is that what you are offering?"

Jennie was terrified of what the man holding her captive would do. She watched in helpless terror as his eyes fell on the rapid movement of her chest due to her panicked breaths.

"Y-you must have misunderstood him," she whispered shakily when she thought his eyes lingered on her breasts.

He looked at her face, and his snarl turned into a cruel smile. "I believe his exact words were, 'She would do anything you ask her to do. Even if she ends up pregnant, I won't mind as long as you marry her before the child is born a bastard'."

Oh God! Krystal would be devastated to know what her father had told the beast.

"Is that what you are after?" he demanded in soft menace. "You want me to get you pregnant because you think I'd be forced to marry you?"

She shook her head. "No. I-I just wanted friendship. My father is wrong about me. I'm not willing to do anything to be your bride."

He watched her closely, and she held her breath, aware of him in ways she didn't want to be. 

"Get out," he ordered.

She stood up and even though her legs were shaky and trembling, she ran out of his suite.