Chapter 13

The weather was beautiful the next day with the bluest sky and fluffy white clouds. She stared at the sky, a smile forming on her face.

"Look at that perfect formation," she pointed. "The big cloud looks like an elephant, and the small cloud right next to it looks like its baby."

She turned to look at him when she felt his gaze on her.

"How old are you again?" he asked drily, not bothering to even glance at the sky.

Beast.

Bah. She didn't know why she began to crave his company. He barely smiled or had any conversation with her. Anyone observing them together for a long enough time could easily figure out that he didn't feel the slightest of affection towards her or cared much about her.

Not that she felt any affection towards him either. But she was beginning to feel a strange attraction towards him. And it was most definitely unwanted and inconvenient for her.

She found his behavior towards her arrogant, entitled and rude. So, she had no idea why she felt like staring at him when he wasn't noticing or wanted to spend time in his company.

Although the beast was feared by most of the staff, Jennie noticed that they respected him. He paid them good wages and supported their children's education and needs.

Maybe even she was beginning to feel gratitude because he was indirectly paying for a part of her education as well. He had transferred a huge amount of money on the very first day of the charade.

"When are your exams?" his voice cut into her thoughts.

They were standing near the pond, watching the ducks. "In two months."

"Do you need anything else apart from books?"

She shook her head. "I'm fine for now."

Nodding, he resumed their walking.

Yes, what she felt towards him must be gratitude and not attraction. She felt much better when she came to that conclusion.