Chapter 11 - Part 3

When he meant charade, he must be referring to the one he thought she did by acting friendly with him. There was no way he could have found out about her real charade. The man practically lived within his mansion walls.

"I don't know what you are referring to. I—"

"Let it go, Jennie. I know the truth about you."

She was shocked once again. Why did he call her Jennie? Maybe he heard Jang mi refer to her as Jennie.

She shook her head as though what he was saying didn't make sense. "What truth?"

"Truth of who you really are."

Not wanting to give up, she continued denying even though a sick dread sat in her stomach. "I don't know—"

She gasped when he reached out and held her hand. She tried to tug it back, but he didn't let go.

"These are not the hands of a pampered woman from a royal background. These belong to a woman who is used to working with her hands on a daily basis."

He was right. She was used to doing housework at home, and because of her obsession with cleanliness, she even used harsh soaps and chemicals that made her palms rough and chipped her nails. She had never gotten a manicure even once in her life.

She stared in panic at their joined hands. His were rough too, but unlike hers, they were large and strong, easily able to trap hers, like he was laying a trap to her on the outside.

"Fine, I'm just a lowly person who doesn't deserve to be around your royal highness. So what? Are you going to have me arrested for this pretense?"

He didn't reply. Her nervousness returned once again when he remained and watched her keenly.

"No. I'm not going to have you arrested," he said finally. "The proposal I have for you is to continue your charade. Maybe for two or three more weeks. Convince my staff and anyone who visits this place you are in love with me and can't wait for me to propose."

"That's impossible. I—"

He let out a small, cruel smile. "I don't think it's impossible. You were quite convincing when you brought in breakfast and followed me everywhere."

Jennie felt trapped and frustrated.

Clenching her teeth in helplessness, she spat out, "Fine."

"Good. Whatever you need in the coming days, ask me, and I'll provide them to you. No one apart from you and me, and Krystal Jung should know about this part of the charade."

"Fine."

He resumed eating while she just played around with her food. Finally, she gave up trying to eat and got up from her chair and returned to her room not looking back at the uncaring beast.