Chapter 22 - Part 2

There was a dull throb in her head.

Slowly, she moved her sore, aching body and sat up. She was in an unfamiliar room. The view outside the window next to the bed indicated she was on the top floor of the hotel where she performed.

She was tempted to remain in the room for much longer, but she knew she couldn't put off facing the reality. So taking a deep breath, she marched outside the bedroom with determination to face her beast.

He was seated on a couch, wearing a similar but larger robe as her and sipping coffee.

He saw her. "How are you feeling?" he asked. "Come have some breakfast."

Jennie scowled with anger and frustration. She glared at the heartbreakingly handsome and stubborn man watching her.

"Why are you doing this!" she shouted.

He watched her calmly before replying back. "I want us to be together," he replied.

"We were never together the way it mattered! And we can't be together!"

"I want to be a doctor, Taehyung. I can't be some royal princess and attend society parties. Our paths don't belong together."

He was quiet.

Suddenly, a small suspicion wiggled into her mind. "Did you... did you have anything to do with the cancellation of my suspension?" she asked.

Taehyung was quiet, but his silence spoke volumes.

"You did!" she accused in shock. Suddenly, a few things began to make sense. 

She stared at him with disbelief. "What else did you do?" she asked.

"Jennie..."

"What else, Taehyung!" she demanded. 

He watched her face before quietly replying. "I got your father a job at one of my companies and purchased the house when you began negotiating the rent with the landlord."

 She knew it was too good to be true for her father to get a job as an accountant, despite his background check that revealed him as an alcoholic who was fired from many jobs.

He held her arms gently. "I love you, Jennie," he said.

Her legs would have buckled if he hadn't been holding her upright.

"Don't say that," she pleaded. "You need to be with someone who belongs to your world. We just aren't meant to be."

He kept his gaze locked on hers. "I love you, Jennie," he repeated. "Even though I did nothing in my life to deserve someone like you, I don't want to lose you. I want you and I need you."

She felt her resolve break into pieces. "I can't be with you, Tae" she whispered. "I can't let you sacrifice your legacy for me."

He took a deep breath. "What would you do if you were in my place?" he asked.

She knew she would give up anything for him.

"Then why?" he demanded softly, reading her face easily. "Are you the only one allowed to sacrifice for love?"

She didn't know what to say to that.

"Do you love me?" he asked.

Seeing the hint of vulnerability in the eyes of a man who was usually arrogant and confident broke the last of her resolve.

"Yes. I love you," she whispered.

His face broke into one of his beautiful, rare smiles. "Then nothing else matters," he said before bending and kissing her.

It started as a sweet kiss, but the moment their breaths mingled, it turned into something volatile. His tongue invaded and stole her breath away.

He pulled back immediately. "Dammit! I didn't mean to do that. We still need to talk—"

Her heart warmed listening to his words. She knew it would take some time to let go of her guilt of him having to sacrifice his legacy to be with her. But she also knew that with her beast at her side, her happiness and love would dominate any other feelings.

"Oh no!" she said, getting reminded of something important. "My father must be worried sick!"

"I called him last night. I told him you were fine and would return this afternoon."

She frowned. "And he didn't question you?"

He smiled. "I met with your father a month ago and told him of my intention to marry you. I told him I'd do my damndest to keep you happy. He told me to hurry up because you missed me, and that you called out my name in your sleep and cried."

She was stunned, and then she shook her head. "Arrogant beast," she scolded him.

"But you love me," he said with a smile.

"Yes. I love you," she said before hugging her beast.