Chapter 8 - Part 3

She kept away from him for the rest of the day. She spent time outside gardening, planting more colorful plants and some decorative bushes near the barren tree. But around lunchtime, she went to Jang mi and asked if she could again take the meals to the west wing.

"Sorry," Jang mi said with a regrettable look. "The young master has asked not to be disturbed by anyone."

Frustrated, Jennie spent the afternoon in the library. And then, a couple of hours before it got dark, she dressed up in something nicer and waited near the path where the beast went riding each day.

He was on time as she had expected. She smiled tentatively and waved at him, wanting to apologize for asking him an intrusive question. But he ignored her.

Krystal had sounded worried during the call in the afternoon.

"I heard you had breakfast with the Prince. But apparently, he didn't spend much time and even ignored you all day."

Jennie was shocked by the swiftness in which the person who was spying carried back information to Krystal's father. "It wasn't my fault... entirely. He was insulting, and he was implying I was a gold-digger." Jennie told her what had happened.

There was a brief silence. "I suppose he would feel that way because my father is more or less pushing me at him. He more or less hinted to me that I should try to seduce the prince and fall pregnant with his child to secure my position. He's that bloody desperate for that title. It's just so sick!"

Jennie was shocked. Yes, she was desperate for money, but she drew the line at what she was willing to do for that money. "Krystal, I hope you don't expect me to—"

"Oh no! I don't expect you to seduce the prince. At least not the way you are thinking. Just be on his good side and spend time with him. My father's spies need to give him positive feedback. It's only for a few more days.

"Okay, I'll try."

And try, she did.