Chapter 21

Before she completely broke down, she decided to get out of the room.

"Don't," he said before she could even move.

He didn't turn or move away from the window. He stood still with his head bent down slightly.

She wanted to escape, but she knew him. She knew how stubborn and determined he could be when he wanted to. And he must be quite determined to have his say. Or he wouldn't have bought the hotel where she performed.

"Sit down," he ordered.

With trembling legs, she sat in a chair that was farthest from where he stood.

There was a long silence before he spoke.

"Why did you leave me?" he asked. There was no accusatory tone or anger. His tone was almost indifferent.

She felt hurt by it.

It took quite a bit of an effort to get her voice to work. But she finally could somehow. "I already explained everything in the letter," she said, her voice catching only slightly.

There was another silence. "Explain it again to me, now," he said.

"Taehyung—" She broke off when she saw his hand clench even harder. "I-I'm sorry I left the way I did. But I felt our affair wasn't working out for me."

"What we had between us was more than just an affair. And you know it."

"I... I admit I got carried away temporarily. But when you were gone, I realized what I was doing... and the reasons why I can't be with you."

There was another loaded silence.

"Because I'm scarred, a recluse and broken?"

Tears filled her eyes once again. "Yes," she whispered the lie.

She looked down at the table, desperately trying to blink the tears away, when she heard him coming towards her.

He stood in front of her across the table. "You are lying," he said flatly.

She couldn't speak, so she shook her head as an answer.

"Look at me, Jennie," he snapped.

She didn't want to. She couldn't. She knew she would break down, and there was no way she could explain her behavior then.

"Jennie," his voice fell like a whip. "I said look at me."

Breathing in short, shallow breaths, she slowly looked at him. And when her eyes fell on his face, she held her breath.

His eyes were flared with a dark intensity that threatened to suck her in. His jaw was clenched as though he was barely controlling himself. But what utterly shocked her were the missing scars on his face and neck. There was slight redness and swelling which indicated he had surgery only a few days after she left. She had found him strikingly attractive despite the burn scars. And now, with the scars gone, he looked stunningly handsome.

"I don't think you would have to tolerate my looks anymore."

Regret pierced her sharply. She had done this to him. She had made him feel inadequate, making him go for surgery to fix his scars.

"I'm no longer a recluse either," he said. "I travel around the world. So, I don't think you would ever feel trapped in my dreary mansion."

"Taehyung..." she whispered, feeling like complete shit. "Please, stop."

"Why?" he demanded. "Does it bother you when I repeat your lies?"

She was stunned by the words. "I wasn't lying," she said shakily.

He let out a slow smile. "Jennie. The moment I read the letter you wrote, I knew it was utter bullshit." 

"You saw me at my lowest, Jennie. But you didn't care for my outward or inward scars. You made me happy and you made me want to grab on to the second chance that life offered me in form of you." 

"I didn't do this for you, Jennie," he said softly. "I did this to prove that I'm ready to forgive myself. Yes, I won't be able to forget the past, but I have decided to no longer punish myself for it."

Jennie was happy that he had finally made peace with his past.

"I want you back, Jennie," he said, yanking her back to the current situation.

She reminded herself of why she had left him in the first place. And why they couldn't be together. "Taehyung... I'm happy that your life is back on track. But I can't go back to you."

A thundering frown came over his handsome face, reminding her of the beast from their initial days. Her heart clenched harder with longing.

"Why?" he demanded. "Tell me why we can't get back together. I know it's my aunt. She must have threatened you with something. She can't do anything to you, Jennie. Even if she has that kind of power, I will protect you from everything."

Shaking her head, she stood up on her shaky legs and pushed back the chair. "Taehyung, please, let it go. And it's getting late. I need to go home."

He was quiet.

"I... I... wish you all the best. Please don't try to get in touch with me again."

He stood silently while she lowered her eyes and hurried out of the conference room.