Chapter 36

"Wait I just released I have only 5 Pokemon..." said Ash looking at his team as Serena and Maya trained theirs. "Well, you could really go and catch one right?" asked Maya making Ash sigh. 

"No...other than Gallade I have not caught Pokemon normally and even then having Gallade was during a weird situation," said Ash making him and Serena sweatdropping remembering about the weird encounter with the Rocket Grunts. 

"Well, a change of pace would be great right after the chaotic Gym Battle with Wyvern," suggested Serena as Ash looked at his Pokedex making him perk up making Serena and Maya interested and looked at Ash's Pokedex as it displayed an event nearby as a fossil expedition was set up with this being the first. 

As soon as Ash saw this he got a call from Professor Seri catching everyone off guard, especially Maya who was very invested in the event. 

After the shock, Ash then accepted the call as a hologram picture of Professor Seri popped out. "Ah...Hello Ash it seems that you just finished the 20th challenge, and yes congratulation. 

But looking after that for now I need you to document and report on the Fossil Expedition happening in the Riverside Hills. 

And I wish you luck in the Elite Four as well alright bye..." said Professor Seri as the hologram disappeared making Ash sweatdrop as the professor's antics. 

"Well might as well right," said Ash to no one in particular as he packed up their camp making Maya excited. "Let's go!!!" screamed Maya as she ran forward with Ash gripping his chest. 

(Timeskip...)

We now see the crew at Riverside Hills with the crew just arriving. As they were about to get a permit however they saw Dean's group making Maya feel nervous with Avi's and Zoe's antics. 

Today does not seem to be Maya's day as Dean spots them and runs towards them with his usual line. "Well it seems that we meet again great rival, and now I think that I could defeat you as I have got the 14th gym badge just like you," said Dean full of confidence to only see a glooming death that is Avi as she slammed him on the head with a massive tree branch. 

"Stop trying to fight someone way better than you Dean..." said Avi as she slowly softened as she tried to hug Maya who was now scared out of her boots. 

"Well I'm guessing that you are here for the event right," said Avi only seeing Ash picking out his tools with Maya and Serena. "Well here's one for you young lady," said the cheerful and happy tool merchant making Maya feel enthusiastic. 

Ash and Serena were also feeling optimistic but seeing how many people were at Riverside Hill made them feel this would be hard. 

Despite this Maya immediately jumped in running making Ash and Serena follow suit as Avi, Dean, and Zoe were dealing with the organizer who talked about having all gym badges making them leave. 

Making Dean sad about not being able to catch fossil Pokemon while Avi and Dean were sad about not seeing and playing with Maya. 

But catching back to Ash and the crew they were not having much luck, as if with many in the area with one by one slowly disappearing as they said it was fake for the few that actually found some fossils who defended saying that were there for a few hours already which they ignored. 

Serena and Maya were trying their best with them trying to find the rocks they think that fossils might be in. While Ash was ignoring a lot of the rocks in the area. He constantly checked his wristband as he picked up each stone that he picked. 

Time after time they tried to find one as the time and day slowly started to finish with Maya and Serena sitting down and resting after they tried their best with only Ash at the hillside running and trying to find as he was now the only one in there with everyone leaving and with the merchant as well watching Ash run around. 

Right after that Ash's wrist band then flashed a sight of light blue making him stop his movement he then picked out a small little stone making everyone confused. 

"Well I hope you are ready for the future little guy..." said Ash as he stored the little rock as he head towards Serena, Maya, and the merchant from before. 

"Well I think I have found my pick..." said Ash as now panted as he felt the drawback of overusing aura. "Well what you find little guy," said the merchant as he was interested in Ash's findings.

"Well I might be wrong but there is a chance of it being from the times that Arceus still ran in our world and ancient Pokemon were there as well," said looking at the marking in the rock. 

"Well we better go to the facility there for a confirmation young man, " said the merchant as he pointed towards the research facility that was set up. 

"Thanks and have a great day," said the crew as the merchant packed up and left after the crew returned the equipment. 

(A/N: Short Chapter but my friend Panyrtf is going insane with coming up with ideas so I think that's for now. And there would also be a shortage of chapters for a few days)