Chapter 2 The beginning

Kay

       Let me start from the beginning. I was 18 when it all happened. The secrets came out of the dark and I ran away. I guess it might seem a bit dramatic but let me explain. I was in the kitchen when my mother came in. Well, I guess she isn't my mother. Anyway, she came in with her husband and said she had news. I could see it on her face, the fear and the pain. The truth came out of her mouth in two words, and I crashed. I couldn't believe it. I was adopted. They weren't my parents. Do I even have parents? From other people's perspectives, it looked like I was just shocked. All I could do was walk. So that's what I did. I walked and I walked, and I walked. Until I couldn't. I had no idea where I was, and I was freezing. I had to find somewhere to go and hide. I knew they would look for me, and they did for months. But the future held way more concern and worry than just adoptive parents finding me. Some days I thought I wouldn't make it and I'm not so sure I did make it. Only time will tell. I'm sure I'll have more worry coming soon after all that's happened. For now, I'll try and take it easy and tell you what happened that first night. I walked to a nearby town I knew from childhood using google maps. I found shelter in a small, abandoned house. I knew it well as I used to have a friend who lived here. She was my best friend when I was younger. She passed away in this house and her parents moved away. Nobody ever bought the house as they all said it felt as if there was a strong hateful spirit. They weren't wrong. The second I walked into that house I felt her. Her anger, her fear, her pain. I knew I was in for a very long night. I heard her whisper. Her violent, threatening aura. I felt the air get bitingly cold and saw my breath freezing in the air. She's here. "Aurora?", a cabinet door slammed in the kitchen. "It's me, Kay, you know me", a door upstairs slowly creaked open and I saw her. I had always been able to see the dead. I lied before when I said we were friends. She liked me, and I liked her back. I rejected her out of fear. It broke her. I thought we were just friends. The next day her death showed up on the screen. It was my fault. I just knew it. And she knew it too. "Funny seeing you here, eh?" She didn't take too kindly to my joke cause the next thing I knew a plate flew at my head. "Okay, no jokes got it.'' I sighed. "Listen, I know this is my fault. If I had just admitted that I liked you, then you would still be here. I'm not saying this just because I don't want you to kill me though that would be a bonus, I did like you. Hell, I loved you. But I just couldn't. I didn't want to mess up our friendship. I needed you in my life, I didn't want to lose you" I felt the tears start to fall. "I'm sorry". She smiled and tears started falling down her face as well. "It isn't your fault", she said, "I was going through other things, trust me you rejected me in the friendliest way you could've. I knew you liked me back even if you didn't admit it. My mother was awful and drove me to my breaking point that night." At this point, we were both sobbing. "If I had just checked on you, I could've helped you. I love you." And just like that, she was gone. I still felt her in the house. She was here but she wasn't here. The door to her bedroom slammed shut and I knew she needed a break. There were a lot of emotions. A lot of confessions. I knew I wouldn't ever get the chance to love her. Not what she needed. I made a decision then. I'd stay the night and when it was over, I would leave. I wouldn't cause her any more pain than I already had. She'd been through enough. Just like that, I fell asleep. I awoke to the sounds of slamming doors and breaking plates at 7 in the morning. The look on Aurora's face said it all. Someone was outside. I carefully made my way to a window and saw the cops and my fake parents outside. They were coming to the door, I had to think fast. I saw the back door and booked it. I ran through all the different backyards on the street and made my way down to the river system near the houses. The bridge wasn't too sturdy, it definitely wouldn't hold more than two people at a time. I heard sirens behind me. Shit. The cops were coming with the two of them. I jumped. I jumped into the icy water without thinking. I didn't know how to swim. I couldn't breathe. Please God, don't let me die. I want to live, please. Please God, help. Suddenly I was elsewhere. I was still in the water and drowning but I wasn't. I was somewhere dark and cold. The only light came from the walls that left a strange ominous blue light. The presence of spirits was strong. I could faintly hear the whispers. Swim, Kay, swim. So I swam. I came back and I was out of the water, along the edge of a forest. I'm not sure how I got here. I'm so cold. "Is anyone out there! Help! Please!" I listened to the sounds of the wind but nothing else came about them. No answer. No howl. Nothing. I was alone and I was cold, and I was afraid. I had to do something, or I might not survive the rest of the day. Fuck. What have I done? Why do I have to be so impulsive? God, why do I have to be so stupid? Don't answer that, readers. Don't forget I talk to the dead; I will find you. Don't test me motherfuckers. "Anybody!" Still nothing. Guess I better get walking and figure out what the hell just happened in the water and how I got here. God, please help me.