Chapter 17 Mirrors. Twins. Changes.

Kay

It's all happening so fast. My mind is spinning. I need to lie down. I walked over to my bed and thought about the day's events. Everything had changed. Less than a year ago I was sitting at home with my "parents" and didn't know anything about these things. Clara and Lee. That's what they are now. I don't have parents. Am I an orphan? Does that make Nate an orphan? I guess that does. I never thought that I would have siblings. Life turns out funny. Yet something doesn't feel right. Maybe I'm crazy. I am crazy. I ran away being an emotionally angsty teen. I wasn't thinking. I want to go back to that day. Just to change one thing. I would've never run away. Don't get me wrong. I'm glad I found Nate and Ash, but it isn't easy. I'm afraid and I want to be normal again. I don't want to be viewed as dangerous. Knock. "Who's there?" I got up and opened my door. I swear if that was one of them, I might have to end them. Knock. That came from behind me... "Hello?" Nothing. Maybe I'm hearing things. I laid back down and listened in silence. Not a sound. Right as I fell asleep another knock sounded.

"Lilith." She looked over. "Yes, David?" I looked over towards the other person. The man. A crib was next to him. He was lowering a baby into it. "Momma!" I called trying to get her attention. "It's time, I need to start on her experiments." What? "Dada?" Why won't they pay attention to me? I started crying which only set off the other baby. Nate. It has to be Nate. "One second, David." Finally, the woman looked at me. "Momma." She sighed. "Listen, I have to do this. I promise you, when the time is right, you'll find Natey again and Momma. I can't let Dada do this to you. I couldn't stop him from doing this to Natey but I can't see him do this to you. I already found your, new parents. They're Momma's friends. Dada doesn't know them so don't tell him, okay?" She was crying. "Momma cry?" She smiled. "Yea, I'm sorry." She leaned down and picked me up. "Unfortunately, I can't stop it right now. But tonight, I'm going to take you to Momma's friends." I looked around. I was in a strange-looking laboratory. "Dada." The man looked up. "There you are!" He took me from my mother's arms and told her to leave. "This will only hurt a little..."

I woke up in a cold sweat. I brought my knees to my chest and started sobbing. I knew it was real. That was a memory. "Fuck, man."

I got out of bed and decided to take a walk. My legs led me to a bar. I pulled out the fake id I used to use for high school parties and events and went in to get a drink. I sat down and ordered a straight whiskey with a shot of coconut vodka. One drink became many until I wasn't thinking straight anymore. "Rough night huh?" I looked up and was met with eyes of emerald, green. They were so gorgeous. I couldn't look away. "Well?" I snapped out of it. "Yea, you could say that." She chuckled and sat down next to me. We both ordered another drink and talked for a while. We talked about our lives and where we wanted to end up. Of course, I left the last 6 months out of the conversation. I didn't want to be treated differently. I just wanted to be treated normally. Like I wasn't dangerous. "I know a place; you want to go there with me?" I looked into those eyes and smiled. "Yea." We got to her spot and settled onto the ground just watching the stars. I looked over at her. "You ever think about them?" She turned to look at me. "About what?" I looked back at the stars. "The stars." She sat up and moved closer to me. "Not really but maybe I should." We looked at each other and I sat up. One thing led to another and suddenly we were kissing. I know it probably didn't mean anything. We were both drunk out of our minds. But I've never felt alive like that. Exploring one another I found out things about myself that I never knew. I did things I never did. I don't know how to handle it. At some point, after we had finished, we fell asleep. I woke up in the morning in a panic. I hope the others don't know I disappeared last night. Hopefully, they're still asleep. I woke her up and informed her that it was morning and walked away. I have to get back.