Chapter 19 New endings, Old beginnings

Kay

For the next few weeks, I continued meeting up with the girl from the bar, Jules. I would sneak out, go to the bar, have a few drinks with her and then head to the field with her. No one knew. It was something I could keep to myself and not have to share that part of my life. I made sure not to have her in my mind or the bar when around the others. I don't know what would happen if they ever found out. I didn't tell Jules about them, about my past, or even who I was beyond my name. If it was enough for her, it was enough for me. I didn't feel like unloading all my trauma anyway. Sure, I was curious about her. She was a complete mystery to me, and I was a complete mystery to her. It was a weird dynamic, but it worked for us. Until it didn't. I snuck out to the bar one night as I had been doing. Enjoyed a few drinks before she showed up. Something was different when she came this time though. She didn't seem to want to look at me. We barely talked. When I was done with my last drink and paid, she grabbed my arm and took me to the field. "What the hell is your problem today, Jules? Christ you're in a mood." She stared at me, and I could see the anger in her eyes. "My problem is you!" I looked at her in surprise. "What do you mean, why are you yelling?" She looked even angrier. "When were you going to tell me you're a mutant? You honestly thought I wouldn't find out! You should have told me! What is wrong with you?!" How. How did she find out? Who the fuck told her? "How do you know?" She scoffed. "That's your first question? Are you serious? I can't believe you. We've been hanging out for weeks and you didn't have the decency to fucking tell me but now you're mad that I know." I looked at her in shock. "No, of course not. That's not what I meant by that at all. I just didn't, well I don't really know. Can we just talk about this instead of being angry? You haven't told me any of your past either, why do you get to be mad that I haven't told you anything either?" She started to look even angrier. "Because you didn't fucking tell me that you were mutant Kay! Who the fuck leaves that out! Your kind are dangerous!" I started to feel angry. "My kind? My fucking kind?! How the fuck are you going to sit here and judge me when you are singling me out for being fucking dangerous?! Who the fuck do you think you are! We've been together for weeks, Jules! Fucking weeks! And now you're just going to stand there and say your kind! You can't do that to me...You just can't." I started to cry. I looked at her feeling hurt and betrayed. "Kay I-" I glared at her and she shut up. I sat down and tucked my knees under my arms. She walked away. I watched her walk away and I didn't stop her. She walked away and didn't look back. Not another word was said. I felt my heart shatter. She didn't care. She only cared when she thought I was normal. I went back to the bar that night. I didn't leave till the morning. I guess I was waiting for her to come back but she didn't. I don't think I'll ever see her again. That was the last time I will probably see her. I let her walk out of my life. Just like I let myself walk away from Clara and Lee. They raised me when momma couldn't. She gave me to them, her friends to keep me safe. And I walked right back to what she wanted to keep me away from. I need to go see them. They might be willing to tell me about them. About momma and that fucker. I need to see them. Keep myself busy from Jules.

I arrived at Clara's and Lee's about an hour later. I watched through the window from across the street before knocking on the door. I could see them. Clara was in my old room sitting on my old bed. She was miserable, I could tell. She had a look of sadness on her face. Lee was looking at my picture on the wall. I sighed. I walked up to the door and knocked. "Hey pop..." Lee was shocked, he didn't move until I was suddenly wrapped in a hug. "Kay!" Clara came around the corner to comfort her husband. She thought he was hurting again. "Honey, she's still gone. I want her back too, but I don't think she's coming back." I looked over at her. She hadn't seen me. "Hey ma..." She looked over at me. "Kay! Oh my god!" Suddenly I was in a hug with both of them. "We missed you so much!" I smiled. "I know pop, I know." I looked at them both. We were all crying." Listen. Ma, pop... I um I have some questions." They nodded. "I know you knew my biological momma and that you were her friends. I know she gave me to you to save me from her husband. I know he was experimenting on me and my twin Nate. I also know that you know that I'm a mutant. Please I just want to know about her and what exactly happened that day. Then I will gladly answer any questions you have." They explained what happened and who she was. I know so much about her now that it feels like I actually know her. I won't go into the details. Not now. Right now, it isn't relevant. The time came for me to leave. "You didn't see me, and I wasn't here, ok?" They nodded sadly. "I love you ma; I love you pop." "And we love you, Kay." I left and started my walk home. My thoughts swirling in my head. A lot just happened. A lot is yet to come.