XIV

The Beginning Of The End

⊱ | ✾ | ⊰

Eren felt his heart leap, then plummet.

He had always thought he was someone who had no capability of doing wrong. . but after all the craziness that happened tonight, he knew he deserved more than a severe reprimanding. Causing trouble for everyone, especially his mother, was the worst feeling. He imagined having to see the look of sheer disappointment on her face. Distraught, Eren wiped a tear from his eye.

The two were being detained in barred confinements, Levi and his mother would be coming for them any minute. Mikasa dabbed at her face with her shirt, then looked down at the cloth, frowned, and dabbed again. "Thanks for coming back for me." Her voice had been contrite, but Eren was too upset at himself to respond.

"Where are they?" They heard Levi's voice out on the front desk.

He swallowed a huge lump in his throat as an officer approached them and unlocked their cells. Worried, Carla immediately pulled her son close to suspect any injuries, "Look at you, you're cold and barefoot. Are you hurt?"

"No, I'm okay." Eren couldn't bring himself to look her in the eye.

"What were you thinking? You could've crashed!"

"Mrs. Jaeger, I was the one who drove." Mikasa said, laced with guilt. "I shouldn't have asked him to come. I take full responsibility for what happened tonight, I'm very sorry."

Sighing, Carla rested her palm against her forehead, easing the pain on her temple. Levi put a hand on her shoulder. "Mikasa, you know what this means, do you?"

The girl's eyebrows twitched at that. She was going to be sent somewhere far away, and she wouldn't be able to do anything else to make it right. Tonight was the last straw.

"Please wait!" Eren grabbed Levi's arm, his mind was spinning when he looked at him. His silver hues glinted. Was the brunet afraid? Yes and no. But those eyes were kind, weren't they? "I went willingly, please don't do this."

"I'm sorry," Levi said, "Unfortunately, I'm not the one who makes the decisions for her." And he walked the other way. She gave an upset smile to Eren and trailed after her brother.

The car ride home was dour and if anyone felt more of a let down, it was Eren. Carla was beyond pissed at him, she could very well disown him if she wanted to. "I honestly have no clue what possessed you to do this, I may not be perfect as a mother but I've always done my best for you!" she declared through tears and heated breaths.

"I'm sorry, Mom, about getting arrest一"

"I could care less about you getting arrested, you could have gotten killed, Eren Jaeger! Do you have any idea how your actions could affect me? The people who love you? I haven't felt like this not since the night your bastard father left!"

Eren immediately shut his mouth and clenched his teeth tightly to the mention of his father. The boy received rough treatment from Grisha when he found out about his son's sexual orientation. One night in his drunken rage, he barged into Eren's bedroom and had broken one of the poor boy's ribs. After realizing at what he had just done, Grisha fled and never came back.

Eren felt tears brim in his eyes, his buffering ability was overrun and now he was triggered too. His mother had become stressed, her response to it was deregulated, she was spiraling. The laddie could recite all the reasons yet of course he was still left with the emotional pain and scars (both physically and mentally). He knew that the inherited traumas of the years were demons in his head every time his father surrendered his self-control.