XV

Change Is A Powerful Thing

⊱ | ✾ | ⊰

It was a pleasant spring day, with just enough breeze to make Eren wish he had a soft, wool sweater on. 

He stepped out the office door after bidding goodbye to the counselor since it was routine for each student to be counseled every month. Frowning, the laddie headed down the hallway to return to his class. In a trance-like state, he stared into the cotton candy clouds outside the glass panes, still not used to spending a day in school without Mikasa. It just wasn't the same without her, like a big chunk of his heart had been chipped away after she had left.

Then a noise of arrogant male laughter broke him out of his daze; Jean and his douchebag gang were in the opposite direction, bullying someone. Probably stealing their lunch money again. Eren immediately felt tears, hot and furious, burning behind his eyeballs. The steaming anger had been there for a while now, and would only begin boiling whenever he laid eyes on him. This just was not fair. Mikasa had to shoulder all the punishment and the moron gets to go free? Not on his watch. If nobody was going to do anything, he would have to take matters into his own hands or fists, rather. He was going to teach him a lesson.

He squeezed his eyes tight, as if he couldn't keep the rage festering inside constrained.

The heels on the saddle shoes he wore clicked on the linoleum when he stomped towards the gray-haired male's group, ready to give him a piece of his mind. A whisper of air warned him, this was going to get very ugly.

He reached to grab his water bottle and pretended to be busy adjusting the zippers of his backpack, making sure to collide with Jean as accidentally as possible. "Watch where you're fucking going!" Eren was suddenly pushed onto the floor. He inwardly complimented his own cleverness for successfully setting him off.

Alas, it wasn't over yet.

"This fag ruined your shirt." The jerk with the mullet told him. He had a larger form than everyone else's, but was equally as terrible. The others acknowledged the brunet with condescending sneers. "You better fucking pay for it."

"Oh, how tragic." Eren rolled his eyes at them, patting his leg from the pain of the fall. "It's only water."

"The nerve you got there, Jaeger."

Seeing his bullies busy with someone else, the person that was just victimized by the group ran away. Eren felt a momentary relief.

Another snickered at Jean, "Dude, toss that shit away. You wouldn't want to catch his disease."

"Do you even know who I am?" Grabbing a fistful of Eren's blouse, Crappy-Mullet guy lifted him by the fabric of his neckline.

"I grew up with you, you self-entitled prick!" Eren hissed back, taking the pepper spray from his pocket and spritzing it on his face which caused him to let go. Screaming, he staggered but was luckily caught by the guy behind him. "What the fuck!"

The gray-haired lunged into the poor boy and tackled him onto the rock solid floor, his punches repeatedly slamming into Eren's face. "Too bad Mikasa's not here to protect you anymore. You're the one who got her on the other side of the fucking country."

"You left her, asshole! She called out for you but you didn't even spare a glance." Eren could taste the metallic blood on his mouth as he spoke, "You're the reason she's gone!" Everything is your fault!

"Well, good riddance!"

That was when Eren finally snapped.

He kicked the delinquent off of him, a heel to his face, and sucked in a breath before he lifted himself up. He threw a hard blow below Jean's chin. Reeling from the hit, Horseface swung blindly at Eren to which he dodged. Before he could tackle him again, the brunet was abruptly pulled back and was restrained by two of Jean's friends by the arms.