80. Missing You

The next day was fun, but Tess kept remembering that she would be going home soon. She'd spent some time with her parents, and remembered how much she enjoyed chatting with Stanley about anything and everything; especially the crazy that was going on in his world. She didn't know how much of it was true, but she didn't really care. And now that Christmas was over with, she was counting down the days until her flight home. A week in San Lorenzo had seemed like such a long time, but now there were only days remaining. It was hard to believe it would probably be a year before she spoke to Stanley again.

They went out during the day, and saw just how busy the city officials had been. One of the squares had become an ice rink, with some technological miracle allowing them to put a circle of ice in the middle of a paved area overnight. There was a show for the children, which combined elements of stand-up comedy, graceful skating, and slapstick; as well as a few jokes that Tess was sure would go right over the little ones' heads. And then the rink opened to anyone who wanted to give it a try.

Tess hired a pair of skates briefly, and fell a few times. She enjoyed herself as much as she would have expected. She was unsurprised to find Stanley reading a sign about how the rink had been created; and as they went to walk around some of the city's parks he could give an entertaining lecture on the subject. One of his talents had always been turning information into entertainment, and that hadn't changed at all.

By the end of the day, it felt like they had been talking for an age; but there was still more to discuss before they went home. The conversation was interrupted only briefly while the family sat around the TV in front of Live From Palmerston!, almost the only time they had stopped for passive entertainment since Tess had arrived.

"You know, Tess lives in Palmerston now," her dad commented with a smile.

"Palmerston, Oregon?" Stanley and Tess responded as one, both attempting the tone of surprise so familiar to anyone who had watched the show. They laughed, but Tess went a little quieter as the conversation continued. She had remembered how well Spike could quote all the catchphrases, so you could tell which character he was as well as the mood. And that reminded her just how long it had been since they spoke. She wished he could have been there. Her parents could tell there was something bugging her, but she didn't tell them what it was, and they weren't going to push her. It was Stanley who actually asked the question, while everyone was crossing paths on their way between the lounge, bathroom, and bedrooms.

"Something bothering you, sis?"

"That obvious?"

"A little. We worry about you, you know."

"Like we worried about you?"

"I guess. You got your own life now. Would talking about it help?"

"Not much to talk about. Just... missing someone. Worrying if he's okay, you know?"

"Boyfriend? Or just a friend?"

"No," she started, shaking her head, and then thought again. "I don't know. Somebody I care about. Like... I worry because his family isn't... But I want him to be here too, I hate that it's a week since we've spoken."

"I can understand that. How you feel when someone isn't there, I think that's a good way to know your feelings are real. He know you feel this way. I mean... it is a guy, right?"

"Yeah," she said, and smirked a little. "And we've talked about it. When we've got our own problems sorted out, then we can think more about what we mean to each other."

"Then next year you should invite him. If his family can't do a good Christmas roast, I mean. He'll be missing you too."

"I guess," she smiled, and then wondered if there was something weird about sharing these feelings with her brother. This was the kind of boy-talk that she'd only ever imagined having with other girls, who could have been in the same situation. "Thanks. And it won't be long before I'm back, right? I just can't get him out of my head now. Hope I'm not bringing everyone down."