☆ | chapter 8 | ☆

I had no time to choose
what I chose to do

"Hey sleepy head." Cory smiled gently at his friend.

Evie woke up slowly, her eyes adjusting to the light.

It was now Saturday, late morning. Mr Bell, Missy and Cory were still in the hospital room, along with Mr Qureshi and now Miss Keane.

"What's going on?" She asked, confused as to why three teachers were in her room.

It was only then that Evie noticed she wasn't in her room, she wasn't at home at all.

"What's going on?" She panicked. Her breathing quickened when she saw the needle in the back of her hand. "No! Get me out of here!"

"Evie don't!" Mr Bell pleaded, approaching the girl, sensing what she was about to do. But Evie already ripped the needle out of her hand, wincing in pain as blood trickled down it.

"It's alright." Missy soothed as her best friend started to cry. She pulled her close rubbing her back.

"I don't remember anything." The girl sobbed.

"It's okay, shhhh, I'm here." Both of the girls cried together. Miss Keane, who also had tears streaming down her face, rubbed Evie's back as the three men left to go find a nurse.

Later on, Evie had been sedated due to her panic and the doctors being unable to calm her down and was now back asleep. Missy, Cory and the three teachers were back in the family room.

"She hates hospitals... her and Zack spent months here last year before their Mum died." Missy mumbled sadly. "I've told Zack Evie's stayed at mine and she's still asleep, Riz is at his the now."

Cory nodded as Missy put her phone away.

"I really don't agree with this you two. Keeping something this big from him! His sister is lying in a hospital bed!" Mr Bell scolded.

"Me either!" Miss Keane chimed in.

"You don't know him like we do!" Cory snapped back at the adults. "It's what's best."

"That's not your choice to make Cory!" Mr Bell argued.

"I think we all need to calm down yeah?" Mr Qureshi said.

"I need some air." Cory huffed, storming out of the room, Missy following behind him.

"She'll be okay." He assured her.

"Listen do two mind if I head off? Mandy's been calling me all morning, I won't tell her about this, she's got enough on her plate and if I do, Zack will definitely find out but Emma... who's been looking after Zack and Evie since their Mum passed?" Steve asked his colleague, the thought suddenly dawned on him as Evie told him they had never met their Dad.

"They have an older brother, Kyle." She smiled, remembering her old student.

"And shouldn't he at least know about this?"

"I think we should let Evie decide, now we know she's okay." She smiled gently at him. He nodded telling the pair to keep him updated on their student before leaving the hospital.

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

"Are you sure you're alright? I can go make you a cuppa tea? Toast?" Missy fussed over her best friend who was currently laying in her bed.

It was now Saturday evening. Miss Keane and Mr Qureshi had dropped the girls off at Missy's place after Evie was discharged.

"Missy I'm fine, calm down." Evie chuckled tiredly.

"Sorry." She smiled sheepishly. "Nas will be over soon! Have you thought about what Mr Qureshi and the doctor said?"

They suggested reporting the incident to the police, even if they never found out who did it, it mean it was still on file.

"There's no point Missy, I don't remember anything and you didn't see nout."

"But they'll have CCTV and other witnesses maybe." Missy pressed.

"Missy, I just wanna draw a line under it."

"Yeah... I'm sorry, you just really scared me Ev."

"I know... I'm sorry too."

"And me." Nas said, walking up the stairs that lead to Missy's room. Her eyes were red, it was evident that she had been crying. "I'm so sorry Evie, if I hadn't left this might not have happened."

"Oh Nas! This isn't your fault okay!" Evie smiled pulling the girl into a hug as she sat on the bed.

"Just no telling my psycho overprotective brother right?" Evie asked her two best friends.

"Obviously!" Missy rolled her eyes. "But you should've seen how angry Cory, Mr Bell and Mr Qureshi were too!"

"Great, cause they weren't already on my case."

"They just care about you." Nas smiled reassuringly.

"Yeah yeah." Evie mumbled. "Where'd you get off to last night anyway?"

"I eh... bumped into Lila." Nas smiled sheepishly at her best friends.

"What?!" They both screamed in unison.

"Tell us everything!" Missy smiled and Nas began to tell the girls about her night.