☆ | chapter 16 | ☆

But I know right now
That probably doesn't even show

Evie woke up. Her head was pounding and her body ached. But she hadn't been drinking the night before so what the hell was going on?

Slowly sitting up, she recognised the room she was in as Cory Wilson's. She was alone. But still in her school uniform.

She reached her hand up to touch her head, the part where it hurt most, and was horrified to see blood on her hand when she pulled it back.

Slowly, memories from last night started coming back to her. Mr Wilson being on the phone, Jordan winding him up, Mr Wilson attacking Jordan. Evie took a shaky breath, feeling her heartbeat quicken.

Cory entered the room. "Oh." He was shocked to see his friend awake. "Here." He handed her some pain killers and a cup of tea.

She gladly took them.

Cory nervously watched her, fiddling with his fingers. Evie didn't know what time it was, but Cory wasn't in his uniform so it couldn't have been too late.

"It's alright Cor." She whispered to him, she could see how nervous he was.

"It's not alright Eve." His voice cracked and he sat down next to her on his bed. "I just stood there. I didn't do anything."

"Cory you were scared." Evie soothed, rubbing his back, watching as tears streamed down his cheeks.

"I need to check you over Eve... please."

"You're not a doctor Cory, I'm fine." Evie lied.

The truth was, her ribs ached every time she took a breath and her headache was getting worse by the second.

"I know when you're lying Eve." Cory sighed.

"What time is it?" She asked, changing the subject, but also genuinely wanting to know.

"Half 6. Please Eve, let me have a look."

"You just want me to take my top off Wilson." She joked with a smirk.

"Evelyn." Cory held a straight face. No hint of a smile at all.

"Oh come on Cor, lighten up."

"Lighten up?" Cory whisper shouted. "You taking the piss Evie?! My Dad beat you up last night and you're telling me to lighten up!"

"I'm just trying to make you feel better." Evie looked down. "I need to get home and shower before school."

"Don't you think you should take the day off? Take it easy?"

"Nah, it's fine, I'll have Mr Bell on my case."

"I'll walk you home." Cory insisted.

"Alright." Evie forced a smile, trying to ignore the excruciating pain coming from her ribs.

"Oh you stupid cow! Where you been? I've been up all night!" Zack threw himself onto his twin sister when she walked through the door, not caring that Cory was in his house now also.