Chapter 28

Your breathing was starting to get staggered from the pressure on your chest. You wondered if you would die by her hands or her feet first.

"You must die, perfectly." As she said these words, energy in the area started gathering around her, the spear on her hand then starting sucking up the energy. Not realizing that even the shield got sucked in. The moment it went down, Scaramouche bolted towards you.

Ei who was now blinded by the goal of killing you, no longer paid any attention to her surroundings, the rope which tied Yae Miko together started to even get more tighter.

"Die."

Scaramouche pushed Ei with all the force he accumulated after running, she was pushed aside even just for a bit to give Scaramouche the chance to pull you away.

"Run!!" He yelled at you.

You shot up and started stepping back, hesitant to leave as you know what fate awaits him if he were to stay here.

"You have to come with me!" You yelled out.

"I'm fine!! I'll join you later! Just go!!"

It was lie. A total lie. Even if you who has been locked inside some shrine, you knew how a lie feels.

"You don't mean that... you know what will happen if I leave you here..."

"I'm fine!! Go!!"

Scaramouche continued to hold Ei tightly to keep her from getting to you.

"Hurry up-"

"!!!"

Blood splattered out of Scaramouche's mouth. His eyes wide as he looked down to his chest. There he saw Ei's spear pierced into him.

You stood there dumbstruck. He then turned his fearful eyes to you that now has turned to his typical gentle eyes for you.

He struggled to open his mouth from the pain that spread through his body.

"Y/N... have I ever told you how beautiful you are?"

"Scaramouche..."

"To lastly see such beauty in my final moments... what a blessing..."

His body then slumped down, Ei pulled out her spear with no second thought and observed Scaramouche's dying body.

"Feel blessed to have escaped eternal suffering."

You hurriedly ran to Scaramouche, you then placed both of your hands on his chest that continued to bleed.

"No... no... why won't the bleeding stop..."

Scaramouche grabbed your hand now covered in blood, he interwined both of your hands, he pulled it towards his lips and placed a soft peck on the palm of your hand.

"Forgive me for not being gentle to you... I truly cared for..."

"For you... so... I'm... s-sorry... I was... too fearful of... l-losing y-you... that's, why I locked y...you... up... I'm sorry."

"It's fine! I'm sure I can do something!" You yelled to him.

"Look at you, so worried... even though I made you suffer..."

"No! Well... if not for you... I would've been stuck in that shrine for eternity... alone..."

"Y/N?"

You felt his hands starting to turn cold. You pulled him closer to you and maybe warm him up. But your artificial body did not give any sort of warmth whatsoever. Despite this, Scaramouche nuzzled his head close to you.

"Such warmth... I am thankful..."

"Scaramouche?"

"Y/N... why aren't you talking anymore?"

"Hey..."

"Where are you? Hey! Why aren't you talking!"

"I'm..."

"Don't leave me alone please... I don't wanna die... I wanna grow old with you... please... god, I beg of you..."

Ei watched the entire scene play out. She brought her hand to her chest. 'What is this heavy feeling?'

You didn't know what to do anymore. The blood wouldn't stop and his breathing continued staggering. You could only turn to Ei, pleading for help.

"Please! You're a God aren't you?! Please save him!"

Ei wondered why you would ask help for the same person who impaled the person you love.

"Please! I beg of you!"

'Is this the desperation every mortal has when faced with the death of a loved one?'

Ei couldn't understand the ways a mortal thinks and acts. She thought in her young year as a god that no one understood her people more than her. But as the years passed on, her people kept changing until she no longer understood their minds.

As Ei was stuck in her own thoughts, she did not even notice the sly fox sneaking behind her. A tight rope wrapped around her neck. She dropped down the ground with two legs locking her down the ground.

"Now that you no longer have a gnosis, I'm sure even this can handicap you even for a bit."

Ei's eyes shut close, her hands trying to struggle it way away from the rope wrapped her neck that was also enchanted with many things one particular detail that it also can affect spiritual beings.

As soon as Yae Miko made sure Ei was actually unconscious. She ran towards you and Scaramouche.  She moved your hand away from his chest to check the wound.

"Please... save him."