Chapter 16

The question had shocked me, almost as if I was an unaware victim that had just gotten shot by a bullet. It took me a minute to come in terms with the reality of the ridiculous question that they were asking.

Me? Join their gang?

That was a bit of a weird to ask their captive if they wanted to join a gang that was the reason for her restricted freedom and will. But then again they hadn't been terrible to me and supported me through my tough times.

I had made three new friends here immediately and knew how to hold my own in a fight. In fact, I had already baited for them twice, caused two deaths in the month I was living here. So technically, I was already assumed to be part of the gang because if the police found out my hand in both the incidents, then I would immediately be guilty.
So what was the hesitation? Even as I looked at the four expectant faces waiting for a hopefully positive answer, I couldn't force it out of my mouth. There was something stopping me, something that I needed to know before I accepted.

Because once I said yes, there was no going back on my word. This gang had sort of already became my family, despite how cliche that sounded and agreeing to join the gang would just strengthen the bonds though it also brought along a whole suitcase of risk.

"Would you like to talk to chris before?" Mrs walter asked the question on my mind, something I was contemplating. I mean he was the leader and if they were asking me to join, it meant that he had given permission.

I nodded my head and stood up, walking off to his office where I knew he would be. I knocked on the door hesitantly, knowing that if I had a moment more I would back down on my decision. "Come in," came his deep response almost immediately, as if he knew I was coming.

The minute I opened the door, the question rolled off my tongue almost immediately, "Why?"

He looked weary as he sat behind the desk, his hair slightly dishevelled almost as if he had been tugging at the ends of it. It had been a week since we had a proper conversation, I wasn't complaining but it seemed a bit odd that we lived in the same house yet didn't talk at all.

I stepped forward and sat down in the chair opposite him, holding his gaze as he gave me his undivided attention.

"Why?" I repeated again though my question asked many things at once. Why did you avoid me for a week? Why are you asking me to join all of a sudden? Why am I even still alive?

"All three members asked me, I couldn't say no," He fibbed, shrugging his shoulder almost casually as he leaned back in his chair. His eyes challenged me, dared me to call him out which I was more than happy to do.

"The chris I have come to know always has his own reasons. I don't have you figured out, not at all, and something about you tells me I don't want to but the bits and pieces I know shows me that you had a different reason altogether, a reason that I need and deserve to know. So why?" I stated, leaning back in my chair as well and folding my arms across my chest though we didn't break eye contact.

My relaxed position told him that I could wait here all day if I needed to and he gauged enough from the way his eyes narrowed slightly at me, always calculating and analysing.

After a minute, his shoulders slumped slightly in defeat, as if he had lost a bet, and he ran his fingers through his hair."Our previous baiter refused to return, she got shot and wounded badly. I didn't tell you this because I didn't want to scare you when the gang needed you the most to carry out missions. But that was a mistake, she was not much experienced and we had sent only one person with her to finish out the task. They got ambushed but we will never repeat that mistake again, we are more careful now. And you are decent at fighting, something the other baiter isn't. So do you?" He told me after an intense moment of silence.