chapter 27

I placed my belongings into my purse, silently giving myself a pep-talk as I prepared to leave and meet my mo- sorry birth giver.

I mean this situation was totally normal wasn't it?

Just meeting the woman who gave birth to you after a couple of years knowing that she cheated on her husband and you were an illegitimate child that caused the family to fall apart?

Oh and we can't forget that said husband and supposed step brother were gang members/leaders that tried to attack the gang that I was part of now, one that I had initially gotten sold off too...

Yeah, totally normal...

But if I could get through all of that shit then I could get through one coffee, I mused, trying to keep my hopes up by the fact that
trying to keep my hopes up by the fact that I would most likely be getting some answers to soothe the stampede in my mind.

And who turns down a free cup of coffee? Cause I sure as hell wasn't paying.

I walked down the stairs, about to exit the house when someone called out, "Where are you going?" I turned around to see chris dressed in jeans and a sleeveless white top, a black leather jacket held in one hand.

I let out a small scoff, classic bad boy. Classic hot bad boy, not that I was ever going to let him know. His ego would inflate faster than a balloon.

"Joe's, I have to uh meet someone," I replied, his eyebrow raising at my small hesitation and underlying tone of nervousness but he didn't push it, nodding slightly as he walked towards me.

"I'm heading in that direction, I'll drop you." I gulped but nodded all the same- I didn't want him and my mother having an encounter. Mixing my pessimistic past and pleasant present was a recipe for disaster.

They just wouldn't have to come face to face, that's not that hard right?

We slipped into one of the cars and I chewed silently on my lip as he drove towards the gate, my nerves just heightened by being around him as well. When had I entered this phase?

"So who are you meeting?" He broke the silence, his gaze still focused on the road as he continued to drive.

Should I tell him?

"Oh you know just someone," I replied vaguely, praying he wouldn't push it. His jaw clenched slightly as knowing him, he probably derived a conclusion of his own.

"So how are you and Blake doing?" He all but spat out and I flinched slightly, remembering he wasn't present when breaking the news. Did he think I was going remembering he wasn't present when breaking the news. Did he think I was going on a date with a guy at the coffee shop? Lord, I hope not.

"Uh, we broke up." For some reason I felt slightly nervous bringing up this topic, my hands wringing slowly as I refused to make eye contact with the blue ones boring into my head, the road momentarily forgotten.

"When?" He coughed, clearing his throat, his voice breaking slightly. From the peripheral of my vision, I could see that his knuckles weren't as white from where they were once clenching the wheel and his shoulders had slumped in slight relief.

Shouldn't he be upset for his friend?

... Or maybe it's because he thought I wasn't good enough for Blake, yeah that was probably it.

"Today, we just told the other two a few hours ago but we couldn't find you," I rambled slightly, forcing my eyes to not stray and look back at him as a reflex.

Ooooo trees after trees, how interesting, rows and rows of green trees...

They aren't as interesting as staring into Chris's eyes tho...