chapter 22

Chris sped down the road, way over the speed limit but the urgency in his eyes kept me from opening my mouth as I pondered silently.

The warehouse caught fire was what he told me and this was the first time I had heard a mention of a warehouse. Though now, as I think about it, I'm pretty sure it was one of the MANY warehouses that they had.

What had I expected anyways? I baited people who owed the gang money and the biggest business for gangs was selling illegal drugs.

Secretly, deep down I had been wishing they hadn't sold drugs because just the mention of the dangerous substance made me shiver slightly, the addict in me softly craving something it had been long deprived of.

But I was stronger now and I wasn't going to succumb to these wantings, no matter how often they came. I knew how bad it was for me and my mind was cleared from the hallucinations that they used to cover me with.

I blinked in surprise when we stopped in front of the house and I turned to chris with a confused frown. "I'm coming with you," I told him and he looked up from his phone, his eyes hardening and his mouth opening to rebuttal my statement.

"I'm part of the gang now, you can't shut me out," I spoke truthfully even though I knew what question had been written in his eyes, something I wanted to avoid telling him but I knew I had to. He was my leader and if there was a trace of drugs there, he needed to know that I wasn't going to go crazy and attack people for just a taste.

"I've been clean for 4 years," I admitted, looking down ashamed. Why had I even thought drugs was a good thing? My work standard had spiralled down and I had faced the risk of expulsion had I not rectified my act. During the holidays, I went for rehabilitation and I was happy when I finally came back clean, though I knew the fact that I did drugs in the past would haunt me forever.

The car started again and that was enough proof for me that chris believed me, more than I believed myself anyway. What was going to happen if they had crates of drugs waiting outside the door, something that they had barely managed to save? Would I be able to resist?

I shook my head, blocking out all thoughts related whatsoever to my slight problem and faced the window, staring out at the scenery instead. I felt someone squeeze my hand and I turned my head to face chris glancing at me with a softened, sympathetic expression.

"It'll be okay, I've got my men to move all the crates to another warehouse anyway and the firefighters are dousing out the fire," He warned me and I felt myself let out a sigh of relief. With that, I focused my mind on the matter at hand.

Like how Chris's hand felt in mine since he still didn't remove his grasp and that we had held hands three times today. Was that saying something? Nah, friends or semi friends can hold hands whenever right?

"Do you have a suspicion of who burned down the place?" I questioned and a frown pulled down the corner of his lips, his eyebrows furrowing as he thought in concentration at the long list of enemies I'm sure he had.

"It could be Falcon?" He asked me though I could tell there was a slight hesitation when he said it because he didn't believe it and nor did I.

"You just busted down one of his places, sure he's angry but he's not stupid. His gang is small and he lost some of his members so I don't think he would pull off something so risky yet. He does something and then he disappears off the grid for a while before returning," I spilt out what I was thinking and found chris nodding back at me.

We pulled to a stop and I saw Izzy and Noah sitting on the hood of the car. Blake was no where to be found so he was probably inside the building. The fire was doused out though smoke still billowed above the structure, adding to the eerie atmosphere.