chapter 30

The next few days had gone by normally as I partook in regular training with Blake and Noah, with the occasional appearance of Izzy who never joined us yet loved to criticise our form.

Once, Noah cheekily told off Izzy by saying she didn't know any better which resulted in the two of them sparring and her kicking his ass.

You see that was Izzy and Noah, the two of them always out to get each other's heads yet the chemistry between them told us that it wasn't serious, the sexual tension too if you must.

It was getting hard for us to ignore the stares they'd do when the other wasn't looking or the small flirtatious smiles and remarks.

Yet we pretended to look the other way, especially when they tried to make each other jealous which was an unspoken competition that everyone knew about.

To me, they two were meant to be, the way her sassiness was balanced with his calm yet calculating mind. And the way they two became like little children with crushes, but hey I wasn't one to play matchmaker or Izzy would flip the table on me.

She had noticed the mood shift between chris and I and although I had repeatedly told her that it was just us deciding to put the past aside and become friends.

Though sometimes even I had trouble believing myself...

It wasn't just the way I'd feel his stare linger on me or the fact that his hand would brush against mine softly while we walk or the fluttering of the butterflies that took permanent residence in my tummy whenever he was around.

It was more so the silent understanding that we had, two observers that knew how to read people's emotions better than most. If I was up at 2am and he saw me sitting by the window, he'd brew two cups of herbal tea and come join me.

Or if he was stressed and in a foul mood, our friends would sacrifice me as the scapegoat to calm him down because I could tell what he needed to hear.

Yes, I complained about that here and there, I mean they might as well have been sacrificing me to the devil when he was angry, I could die!
But deep down, I knew he wouldn't hurt me- at least not purposely.

Sure, he did inflict wounds on me in the past and no I'm not saying that since we know each other he would never hurt me, there was a chance he would but I'd take that risk.

He had anger issues, it was obvious as day, but he was working on them and finding ways to vent out his anger that wouldn't hurt the people around him.

Or well, innocent, unknowing people at least. What I didn't know was chris had done underground boxing in the past but when I did hear it, I wasn't in the least surprised.

He was a gang leader, one of the most lethal powerful ones there were- I couldn't expect him to not want to hurt a fly.

But hey, it was a part of our lives, death and destruction that is.

I fought, he fought, Blake and Noah fought, hell even Izzy fought and injuries were bound to come in our way here and there but all we could hope is that we could be the ones with our head held high and victorious at the end.

As of now, I was getting ready to go to Chris's match. After re-partaking in underground fights once again, he had earned his spot in the finals by mercilessly thrashing his opponents.

But at least this time it was a fair fight, his opponents knew what they were up against.

"Hazel hurry the hell up!" Izzy yelled from downstairs which made me jolt back into reality. I quickly applied my lipstick and did a one over in the mirror.

Red tank top? Check.

Black skirt? Check.

High top boots? Check.