Chapter 6

Cassie awoke early the next morning. It was a gloomy day, the sun was just rising but was covered by dark clouds. She drug herself out of bed and went downstairs, she poured herself a cup of coffee, the memories of last night came flooding back, groaning softly she grabbed a mug from the cabinet. Cassie took a deep breath before she heard creaking, Elena came walking down the stairs, "Morning Cass." Cassie giggled, "Good morning Katerina." Katherine huffed, "How the hell did you know it was me?" Cassie pulled her steaming mug and took a sip, "I'm a witch, plus you called me Cass, Elena only calls me Cassie. Guess you weren't smart enough to notice that though." Katherine scoffed, "Aren't you gonna ask how I got out?" Cassie walked into the living room and sat down, "No because I know why, Elijah got staked so you got free. Say I'm quite bored, and hungry," Cassie turned to look into Katherine's eyes, "Will you be a doll and make me some breakfast? It's the least you could do after killing my best friend." Katherine nodded, "Of course."

     Cassie loved being an original, though she had been alive for a thousand years worth of trauma and sadness she had the perks of compelling other vampires. She also had the bragging rights of saying she was the original heretic. Pretty cool if you think about it, not for long though, it gets depressing after you think about it for too long. Cassie sipped on her coffee as she could hear sizzling coming from the kitchen. Her nose wrinkled when she caught a whiff of something cooking, "Katerina if you're going to try and put vervain in my breakfast at least have the decency to hide it, you look foolish. I can't help but notice you've been sloppy as of lately, could it be the return of us originals? Or has your diabolical game slacked off?"

All movement from the kitchen halted, Cassie smirked, "It's a shame, you had potential. Now start over with the meal, preferably without vervain this time, thanks darling." Steps came from upstairs, Stefan came downstairs, he examined the room and saw Katherine cooking in the kitchen. "She's not your maid." Cassie sighed, "And why not? If you truly knew her you'd know she deserves much worse than this. I'm being an angel." Katherine came into the living room with a plate and glass of orange juice, "Fruits, bacon, and an omelette, aren't you just a sweetheart. Thank you for your help, you may leave now." Katherine ran out the door, the house was now quiet. "Im sorry, truly. Elijah was getting in our way and we needed him gone, just for now." Cassie nodded taking a few more bites of the fruit, she set her plate down on the coffee table and turned around to face Stefan, "It doesn't matter now. What's done is done, no going back."

Stefan just scoffed, but he couldn't hold back the smile. This was Cassandra, his beloved aunt. "Well if it makes you feel any better the decade dance is coming up, 60s theme too, I know you loved the 60s." Cassie frowned, "I hated the 60s, I was alone and eating every person in sight. I know we did plenty of that in the 20s." Stefan came around the couch to sit down next to her, "You taught me how to be a monster in the 20s." She sighed, "No, you were always a monster, I just taught you how to be smart about it, make others think you aren't one." Stefan slowly nodded taking all of the words in. Cassie took a deep breath, "I won't say the techniques I used to teach you boy was ethical, but it got the job done. That, I will never be sorry for."

     Elena came down the stairs and took a second to observe the two, "I'm gonna head to school." Cassie stood up, she bit her lip, mischief behind her eyes, "Who cares about school? Why don't you and me go have a girls day? We can head to the next town over, go shopping, have a bite to eat, it'll be fun!" Elena sighed and looked towards Stefan, "I mean, I should really go to school. I've missed so much." Cassie left her position from the couch and went to hold Elena's arm, "Don't worry about it, school can wait." Elena let out a chuckle and looked back at Stefan, "You know what, why not?" Stefan smiled but you could see the worry in his eyes.

     Cassie clapped her hands, "Well alright then, I'll go get dressed." She headed up the stairs, there was a smile on Elena's face but it quickly disappeared when Stefan spoke up, "Elena this is dumb, as much as I love my aunt she's dangerous, we don't know where her loyalties lay. For all we know she could be conspiring with Klaus, trying to get you killed. It isn't safe." Elena put her hand on his cheek, "She won't hurt me, you're right, we don't know what she's planning, but she's lonely. As far as we know she has no friends, she's cooped up in this house all day with you and Damon. She needs girl time, and if she tries anything I'll call you immediately, ok?" Stefan let out a groan and nodded. "Ok. Please just, be safe." Elena giggled, "I will." She leaned up and kissed him. Cassie came down the stairs with a smile on her face, "Are we ready to go?" Elena nodded and they walked out the door.