Chapter 15

TW: Violence and gore

"I'm afraid I don't understand, how do you play?" Finn sat on the couch next to Kol and Elijah, Cassie stood up and grabbed a bottle of bourbon, "To put it simple, we drink as much alcohol as we can, we just talk and hangout drinking the entire time, first one to drop or pass out loses and the last to stay awake wins." Finn stood up from his place on the couch, "Count me out." Cassie rolled her eyes, she grabbed Finn's shoulder and hung on to him, "Come on Finn, don't be such a bore!" Kol snickered he covered his mouth with his hand, "Like usual." Cassie turned her head and suppressed a laugh, "Alright I'm in." Cassie clapped her hands, "Well alright! Here's to family!" She raised the bottle and took a nice long swig of it before pulling the bottle away and wiping her mouth. Elijah couldn't help but smile, watching Cassie be so free and happy made him smile, it had been years since she was open and at peace.

***

It was several bottles and hours later, Finn had gone up to his room, Cassie sat on the couch, her legs sprawled over Elijah's lap as Kol sat on the other side, Klaus sat in the chair across. They laughed, they talked, Cassie almost cried and they drank as much as they possibly could. "Ok so like, think about this. I am the, superior original." Cassie flopped her hand to the side as she took a sip from her almost empty glass. "No, I'm the original hybrid, I clearly win!" Klaus pointed at Cassie, his words were slightly slurred. "No, no, no think about it! I am the original heretic, the only one of my kind might I add, I'm the original ripper, the first to come of that lot. I'm also the first vampire that wasn't turned by magic. Three in one bitch." The rest of them sat in silence, soaking in the words. Cassie began to giggle, "I'm better than all of you." Kol rubbed his temple, "You get awfully competitive when you're drunk." Elijah nodded, slowly, staring off into the abyss.

     "Well I'm off to bed, you all have fun." Kol stood up and walked out of the room, Elijah picked up Cassie's legs and laid them back down on the couch, "I'm afraid I'm off to bed." Elijah leaned down and kissed Cassie on the forehead. He walked out of the room and Cassie looked at Klaus, "Only two left standing." Klaus smirked, he got up and came to sit next to Cassie, "Appears so." Cassie played with the material of her dress, she thought for a few seconds and then a smile graced her face. She stood up and held out her hand for Klaus. He raised an eyebrow, "What's the meaning of this?" Cassie grabbed his hand and pulled him so he was standing, "We're going to dance, you want a real flashback? Let's dance." Klaus stood up and laughed. Cassie went over to the record player, she pulled out an old record and put it on. The music started playing, Klaus pulled Cassie in and started swaying to the music.

     Cassie leaned in close, swaying to the music with him. She let out a sigh, Klaus put his chin on the top of her head, "As terrible as it may sound, some days I wish I could compel you." Cassie pulled her head away and looked up at him, "What do you mean?" Klaus sighed, "There are so many things I want to say to you but I'm not sure I want you to remember all of them." Cassie pressed her lips together, "Klaus, I've known you almost my entire life, you've tried to kill me before. Nothing can scare me away." Klaus kissed her forehead and pulled away, "I love you. For so long I thought it was just my feelings over our friendship. Turns out I loved you. I love your smile, your ruthlessness, but most of all your compassion. I have done things that are unforgivable, I played a part in the death of Allison, killed her in cold blood and yet here you are. Dancing with me when I've done nothing to deserve it. I love you Cassie May, that will never change." Her body froze, Cassie stopped dancing, a tear ran down her cheek as she looked up at Klaus. His face was blank as he returned her gaze. "I-I don't what to say."

     "Then don't." He leaned in, kissing her forehead once again and walking out of the room. Cassie didn't move. Didn't budge, the shock still hitting her. Slowly, she made her way to her and Elijah's bedroom. She took off her dress, leaving it discarded on the floor. She peeled back the covers and crawled into bed, Elijah's arm came and wrapped around her waist, he pulled her in so her back was to his chest. Cassie laid her head on the pillow. She didn't shut her eyes, she couldn't. Her brain was going at a million miles per hour. She couldn't think straight. Did she feel the same? Was this all a sick joke? What would Elijah think? What would everyone else think? Cassie sighed, and until morning. She let her thoughts completely consume her.