Chapter 49

The smell of flowers hit her nose. It wasn't the light kind, more of a dark and sultry scent. Cassie smiled as she walked through the forest, the red burning into her eyes. The forest floor was covered in bright roses, some were shades of a pale red. Others were a dark crimson color. Her feet carried her towards an opening in the forest. The clearing was bathed in sunlight, something in the middle caught her eye. Cassie narrowed her eyes and looked at the stone in front of her. The dark grey's standing out against the vivid colors of the forest. She couldn't quite recognize what it was, some sort of creature, an animal. Cassie reached out to touch the cold rock, the roughness sent a shiver down her spine. She looked wildly around her as the dream slowly came to a halt.

Cassie shot up and panted for air. She looked at her surroundings and saw that she was lying in bed, she was in the guest bedroom of the house Klaus had gotten for them. She sighed and the realization hit her when she looked at the twins cribs. Symbolization was always important when naming children in the family. It was as if someone had shown her a sign because Cassie herself did not know. Cassie frowned when she saw they were empty. Getting up and rushing out the door she ran down the stairs, the house was empty. Cassie heard the sound of Rebekah giggling and dashed outside, her heart finally rested when she saw it. The twins were laid on a blanket in the front yard, Rebekah holding two teddy bears in front of their amused faces. Elijah stood not far off to the side, holding Hope in his arms. "What's got you in a bunch?" Rebekah had turned to look at her, face contorted with worry and curiosity.

"I know..." Elijah turned around to see her, "Know what?" She smiled, her face full of joy, "Their names... I know their names, it came to me in a dream, like I was meant to see it. As if someone had showed it to me with a purpose." Rebekah and Elijah both looked at each other then back at her, "And?" Rebekah sat on the edge of her seat, leaning in to see what Cassie had to say. "For my little boy... Griffin Atticus Salvatore. Griffin means strong lord, we can call him Griff for short, and Atticus was the name of my father. For my fiery little girl it's Briar Johannah Salvatore. Briar means thorny patch, something I think she'll grow into. As for the middle name, Johannah is also Davina's middle name..." Her face lit up as she looked at her babies, the two babies who were now named. "It's perfect..." Elijah watched in curiosity at her sudden realization, Cassie could no longer contain her smile as she quickly walked up to her babies.

     "Briar and Griffin..." She reached her hand out and touched both of their cheeks, her finger barely brushing against the soft skin. She smiled at their amused faces, anything and everything catching their attention. Her heart warmed at the sight, her emotions washing over her like a tidal wave. This was the euphoric feeling she felt when she first learned the gender, when she held Griffin for the first time. Or when she looked at Hayley in that pool, or the moment on that front porch in the bayou. Cassie had been chasing after this rush for months, trying to find that same feeling, yet she struggled so hard to do so. Maybe it was because she'd turned off her humanity, maybe it was the blood lust overpowering her every thought. It also could've been that the people she wanted most in life, weren't there. Cassie now had her children back, holding them in her arms. But the one person she longed for she'd pushed away.

     She shuddered at the thought of losing her, of losing what little relationship they had left. "Where's Hayley?" Cassie turned around and looked at Rebekah, "Why don't you ask her yourself?" Her eyes went wide and she finally paid attention to the sounds around her. The sound of wheels screeching brought Cassie to her feet, she looked to see a big black SUV pulling up to the house. Her stomach fluttered as the nerves began to bubble. Once it had stopped the car door swung open, Hayley came running out, going straight for her beloved daughter. She watched as Hayley gripped onto her daughter for dear life, taking in every bit of her. Cassie turned her head to see Klaus now walking up the gravel driveway, their eyes met and she gave him a small smile. It wasn't returned and she looked away, he had every right to be upset yet she didn't want to accept that fact.