Chapter 37

"There are rumor's stirring about love. Care to explain?" Klaus watched as Cassie fiddled with the strings of her dress, "No." He chuckled, "You were always so stubborn." She smiled, "That is correct." As she went to leave the room he put a hand out in front of her, "Do not play stupid with me Cassie May, I know what you've been up to. Slayer of men... the papers find you extremely amusing." Cassie met his gaze, "I kill those who I believe deserve it, and believe me when I say those men were egotistical predators. They deserved every little bit of their gruesome deaths." Klaus smirked, "Did Celeste deserve her, gruesome death? Was she an egotistical predator?" Cassie sighed, "No, but I did say I kill those who I believe deserve a punishment. Tell Elijah, see if I care." He snickered, "I won't say a word, this matter stays between the two of us." Klaus grabbed her hand and kissed the top of it so lightly. Involuntarily she shivered, her touch sending chills down her spine.

     "Can I ask you something Cassandra?" She nodded, "Why do you kill them? A true ripper doesn't care who they kill, anyone will work. So why go through the trouble?" Cassie took a step back, her head dropped to the floor, "I do care. Always have and always will, emotions are a pesky thing." Klaus tilted her chin to bring her face back towards him, "Then turn them off." She shook her head, "I tried, I'm afraid I've lost the ability." She tried to walk away but Klaus grabbed her wrist, "You never answered the question love." Cassie didn't dare face him, "I know what it's like... having terrible men boss you around because they feel as if they have some sort of authority over you. They feel as if they own you, like you are their property. If I can save any girl from feeling that same emotion, that same... fear. Then I shall gladly do so."

     Music filled her ears, she sat in the study of the complex and smiled. She could hear the band playing outside her window, Cassie held a book in her hand and a small cup of tea in the other. A grunt came from the other room, "Everything alright?" Hayley groaned, "Can you help me?" Cassie stood up and smiled, "Of course." When she walked in she saw Hayley wearing a long white gown, her back was completely exposed and Cassie's jaw went slack. Hayley watched her reaction in the mirror and went wide eyed, "Zippers stuck, might need some vampire strength." Cassie shook her head, "No need." She walked up and gently pulled on the zipper, dragging it slowly up her body. Hayley sighed and looked into the mirror, "A pregnant casket girl... what a sight for sore eyes."

     "If that's your definition of a sight for sore eyes you must be blind." They both giggled, but as Cassie turned to leave Hayley stopped her, "Can you get the zipper? Last time I promise..." She nodded, facing back towards her. Slowly, she began pulling the zipper back down her spine. When her finger tips brushed against the warm skin underneath the dress Cassie shivered. It was like electricity shooting into her fingers, the warmth slowly spreading across her body, causing a bright red blush to appear on her cheeks. The sound of a throat being cleared caused both the girls to turn back around, "Am I interrupting anything?" Elijah kept his eyes on the ground, Cassie ran a hand through her hair in embarrassment. "No, no... I was just leaving in fact." Cassie quickly walked out of the room, not daring to turn back. Elijah wasn't far behind her, "Cassandra we need to talk." She stopped, "What about Elijah?" His face dropped, "Don't play dumb with me. You need to tell her." Cassie chuckled, "You're one to talk. I'll tell her eventually just... not now. Things are complicated as is, we don't need things getting any worse." Elijah raised a brow at her words, "You love her... don't you?"

     "I..." She couldn't seem to find the right words. Cassie wanted so badly to deny it, yet when she went to do so, she couldn't. Nothing came from her mouth, she just stared up at Elijah. "I'm going out for the day, the Casket Girls festival is today. I have every right to be there considering the holiday is only here because of Rebekah and I. I'll see you around." She quickly walked away from her guilt and embarrassment. Elijah sighed, rubbing his temples at the denial. Cassie was always a stubborn one, especially when it came to love. When he went to leave a creak in the floorboards stopped him. Hayley had stepped into the room, undetected. "Is it... true?" His eyes went wide, there were a few moments of awkward silence. "I believe that's a conversation to be had between the two of you." Elijah walked away briskly, now trying his very best to escape the awkwardness. Hayley stood there in shock. Her eyes were wide, but she couldn't suppress the smile creeping up on her face. Her suspicions were confirmed, yet she couldn't make up her mind if that was a blessing or a curse.