Chapter 38

Sun poured in through the thin curtains. Cassie smiled as the warmth hit her face, she began to stretch out her body, groaning slightly. She felt fantastic, as she pulled herself from bed there was an extra pep in her step. Cassie walked down the long hallway towards Avery's kitchen, "Morning sunshine." His groggily voice called out from the hallway, "Good morning!" She bobbed her head as if there was music, yet the apartment was silent. "Someone's in a good mood." Avery rubbed his eyes and chuckled as he watched her walk circles in the kitchen. "I feel fantastic this morning! I've got the juice of two powerful witches coursing through my veins. Today's going to be a good day!" He groaned, "I will never be able to understand you witches, or vampires. Too much information all at once." Cassie giggled, "Says the not werewolf werewolf who needs to kill someone to tap into his werewolf side?" Avery stilled in his movements, "Yeah never mind..."

     Cassie smiled, "What do you think about going into the bakery today? I found a recipe from an old cook book of mine and I think it would sell fairly well." Avery opened the fridge, slowly scanning the contents inside. "Sounds good to me." A knock on the door caused him to straighten his posture, Cassie left the kitchen and walked into the front living room. She opened the door to find an oddly happy Rebekah. "Bex? What are you doing here?" She looked at Cassie, lips tightly pressed together. "Remember what I said about you staying out of trouble? Well..." Cassie's face dropped, "What did you imbeciles do this time?" Rebekah sighed and finally made eye contact with her, "It's Davina..."

***

     "You are all idiots! All of you I cannot believe you! Oh my-..." Cassie let out something between a groan and a scream, "You killed her best friend... now she's dying and you are holding her prisoner?" Klaus, Elijah, and Hayley all kept their heads down. A crash sounded from upstairs, "Well that's going well..." Klaus shifted in his seat, a devious grin clear on his face. "I have to agree with Cassandra, if you were trying to win the girls trust perhaps poisoning her one true love was not the most splendid idea." Elijah looked up at his brother, "Oh, are there anymore in opportune deaths you'd like to wave in my face?" Elijah smiled, "Give me a month, I'll get you a list." Cassie snorted at his comment, "A month? I've got five going in my head right now... wait... make that six." Hayley chuckled as she watched the three of them. Another boom sounded throughout the house, Klaus sat up in his seat, "Young, old, dead or alive witches are a pain in the ass."

     Cassie crossed her arms, she looked him up and down. She narrowed her eyes on the chair he was sitting in, not moments later Klaus jumped up from his seat. He looked down at it, then up at Cassie, "Did you just electrocute me?" She gave him a shrug and smirk before walking out of the room. Cassie walked up the stairs and made her way towards a room at the end of a hallway. When she opened the door she was met with a flying vase. Cassie quickly held her hand out, letting it shatter mere inches from her faces. The pieces fell one by one, "Now that is no way to greet a guest. Terrible manners..." Cassie locked her gaze with Marcel, and as her eyes traveled towards Davina a smile began to grow. "Hello darling." Davina smiled when she caught sight of Cassie. It didn't last long though, her smile began to disappear and turned into an expression filled with concern.

     She let out a small cry, her body slumping down on the bed she was sitting in. Davina's hands slid up and gripped her throat, she was gasping for air as the coughing started. Cassie rushed to aid her and she was hit with a substance, she looked down at the sheets and saw they were covered with dirt. It began spurting from Davina's mouth, the sounds coming from her were gut wrenching. "Everything will be alright... it'll be ok..." As Cassie rubbed her back she realized she didn't know who the words were directed to. Herself, Davina, or Marcel. As Cassie sat beside the small girl, the room began to shake. It was small at first, but was suddenly so violent and forceful it knocked over the lamp by the bedside. Marcel rushed over and put his arms and body over the two girls, he held them tightly, protecting them from any objects coming their way. After a few more moments of the turbulence it all came to a stop. Davina slumped down even further, her small form landing inside Cassie's arms. Marcel let his embrace on the girls loosen, he stood up and looked around at the wreckage of the room around them. His eyes met with Cassie's and she shuddered. She knew, she had seen it before and if her inclinations were right, things would only get worse.