Chapter 28

A/N: This is a longer chapter, so get comfy!!

     She returned to New Orleans the next day. When she got back to Avery's apartment she broke down into tears right in the doorway. He didn't question it, just held her as she sobbed on the floor. In the few weeks they had known each other Cassie felt as if they'd known each other forever. He knew what she needed in every moment, and as did she. It was nice having someone like that, especially when he didn't push her. She liked him, but she was scared to open herself back up. Days had gone by since her run in with Elijah in Pennsylvania. It hurt her more than she would like to admit, though her anger was put at rest, her sadness had become a very prevailing issue. Cassie slacked off, though she had someone to hold her up. Avery didn't question what had happened, he just let her be. It was a nice change. Cassie rolled over in bed, the light was pouring in from the window, she sighed. A knock came from the door, "Come in."

     Avery opened the door, "Hey, how you doing this morning?" He leaned against the door frame, she sat up, rubbing her eyes, "I'm alive if that counts for anything." He chuckled, "It gets you a few extra bonus points. I was heading out to the city, wanted to see if you'd come with me. Could give you a tour of the new city. There's some people I want you to meet." Cassie was hesitant, she looked up at him. He smiled at her and she folded, "It sounds like a wonderful time." Avery clapped his hands together, "Alright then, I'm gonna get in the shower, we'll leave here soon." With that he walked away, down the hallway. Cassie blushed, she knew this city like the back of her hand. She wouldn't dare to tell him that though. Cassie stood up, she looked through her bag. She was running out of outfits, having only packed with the idea she was staying for a week, instead of weeks. Cassie sighed, pulling out an old sweater and a pair of jeans. It'll do.

     Cassie got ready, throwing her hair up in a clip and putting on a pair of thigh boots. She looked at herself in the mirror. Cassie forced a smile before walking out of her room. Avery stood by the door, "You ready?" He looked up at her and stopped, "You look gorgeous. Oh god, I'm so sorry, you don't look bad. You don't look bad! You look fine... just fine." Cassie giggled, "I look gorgeous, ok?" He nodded, his face turning a deep shade of red, "Ok." Avery opened the door, letting her out first. She walked out into the hallway of the apartment building. Avery locked the door and began to walk with her, "I don't live far from the center of town, I can drive or we can walk, it's up to you." Cassie sighed, "I don't mind walking, if that's alright with you." He nodded, "Yeah, yeah, that's fine." He smiled at her and she blushed, they got into the elevator. "Oh dear could you stop that?"

     An older lady came rushing towards the elevator, Avery stuck his hand in the door, "Come on in Mrs.Ledger." She snuck into the elevator, looking between the two. "Avery sweetie you didn't tell me you had a girlfriend, oh what's your name?" Cassie giggled, "The names Cassie and I'm not his girlfriend, we're just friends." The older woman looked between the two, Avery looked at Cassie. "No one looks at a friend like that." Cassie whipped her head up to look at Avery. "Say Cassie, you look an awful lot like my granddaughter. You oughta meet her sometime." Cassie forced a smile, "Sounds like it." She let out an awkward laugh, the elevator beeped. Mrs.Ledger stepped out, "You two have a lovely day." With that she walked away. Avery and Cassie stepped out of the elevator, "I am so sorry." She shook her head, "No it's fine, I mean, with the way you look at me how could she not think we're together?" He nudged her shoulder, "Oh shut up." Cassie nudged him back as they made their way to the door of the apartment complex.

      Walking down the streets of New Orleans was so nostalgic. She didn't know why, it's not like she did it often when she lived here, but she loved it here. As they walked past the various restaurants Avery explained his past. His life, what he's been doing all this time. "There's a man I'd love for you to meet. He's a friend of mine, I think you two will really get along." Cassie smiled, "I'm going to trust you on that." He chuckled, he held his arm out, she linked hers with his. His smile was noticeable and it sent a warm feeling to Cassie's heart. They walked down the street to a bar, she walked in, the smell of beer hitting her nose. Cassie adjusted her eyes to the light change. She let go of Avery's arm as he closed the door behind them. Cassie looked around, people were cheering, a crowd near the bar, "Now where is my man Marcel?" Avery shouted it across the bar, people went quiet, Cassie shot him a look of confusion. "Well if it isn't my man Avery Beckett!" The crowd of people dispersed, a familiar face came through. Goosebumps shot down her arms, she looked at the man standing on the other side of the bar. "Marcel..?" He looked at her, his face dropped, "No way... Mama Cassie?" Her face lit up, she ran towards him. Throwing her body at him he wrapped his arms around her waist, squeezing her tightly.