Chapter 10

TW: Talks of gore and death

    A knock came from the door, Cassie sat up, taking her eyes from her book, she looked around, Elijah laid shirtless next to her, sound asleep. He hadn't gotten much sleep these past few days and crashed when they got to the Salvatore boarding house. Cassie smiled at the sight, lost in thought there was another knock. Cassie got up, putting on some clothes, when she opened the door there stood Elena, her eyes were puffy, she seemed anxious, "Elena, darling what's wrong?" Elena looked down, "He has Tyler and Caroline." She sighed, pressing her lips together Cassie realized what this meant. She stepped out of the room, carefully closing the door, careful not to wake her sleeping boyfriend. When the door shut she looked at Elena, "When did this happen?" Elena sighed, "Few hours ago, he's got everything he needs now but me." Tears began to form, Cassie pulled her in, hugging her tightly, "Everything will be alright, I promise." A thought struck her and she pulled away, looking at Elena, "I have an idea, but it's going to take a lot of lying and betrayal. Are you willing to do that to save Caroline and Tyler?" Elena paused, "Cassie no, you can't...you can't give yourself up."

"I have to Elena, it will save Caroline, but I need your help to do this ok?" Cassie didn't know why but she started tearing up herself. Elena hesitated, but nodded in agreement. She squeezed her shoulder, giving her a meek comforting smile. "Wait here, I need to say goodbye." Elena grabbed Cassie, "He's not going to be ok with this, Stefan, Damon, Elijah, they won't let you." Cassie smirked, "That's where you come in." She walked back into the room, she walked over to Elijah and leaned over him, she pressed a kiss onto his forehead. A twinge of sadness hit her as she realized the meaning of this all. The impact it would have. "I love you so much... always and forever." Her words were barely above a whisper, but caused goosebumps to run down her arms. She walked out of the room, closing the door and turning the lock. "Vis sera portus." She looked back at Elena, "That should keep him in there for now, he's strong though, it won't last long." Elena nodded. Cassie took a deep breath, "Night is approaching. I'll see you then I guess."

"Is there anything you want me to tell them?" Cassie stopped, "Tell them I'm sorry, and that they deserved better. That I love them, no matter what." She wiped her eyes and giggled, "God I'm getting all emotional. Well, time to go sacrifice myself to my best friend." Cassie walked away, down the stairs and towards the door. She stopped when she heard a muffled noise, she used her hearing to listen in, a pounding noise was sounding from upstairs. "Cassandra please!" A sigh escaped her lips, Elijah kept banging on the door until she heard him stop in defeat. She got out of the house as fast as she could, not daring to look back. For years she had carried around her guilt like an accessory. All of the bad things she had done, she let them consume her. Cassie wanted to make up for those things, to help those around her for what she had done. These were her friends. Her family. As she pulled out of the driveway she put this at the front of her mind. She reminded herself why she was doing this.

***

     Cassie arrived at the sacrificial spot a little while after dark. The moon was full, round and beautiful. She stood on a cliff, looking over the spot, there stood a witch and Klaus. Cassie crept down, hiding behind a giant rock, a wave of relief washed over her as she looked at the werewolf in the circle, it was Jules, that meant Tyler and Caroline had escaped. She looked at Elena, then towards the opposite of the fire ring. Jenna. Cassie put her hand to her mouth, he had turned her, he was planning on killing her. With all of that Cassie knew, she knew what she had to do. Elena had lost enough, and even though they weren't close, Cassie cared for Jenna. "Nik!" As she called it out she stood up, making herself visible to all. All eyes turned towards her, within a second she ran down there, coming face to face with Klaus.

     "How could you do this? Her aunt? Really Niklaus?" She took a few more steps, Klaus met her halfway, "You aren't supposed to be here." Cassie bit her lip, "I'm not, I'm supposed to help kill you, that was my intent when I rolled out of bed this morning. But I couldn't, I love you. You have been my friend for as long as I can remember. You protected me against forces who wanted to hurt me. Yes, you hurt me yourself. Hurt those around me but that's not important right now. Long ago you would've done anything for me, so here's my chance to return the favor. You let Jenna go. You take me instead." For a second, she thought she saw sadness behind his eyes, and she was right. Klaus' brows furrowed in confusion, he opened his mouth, trying to find the right words but nothing came out. Cassie smiled and reached her hand out to hold his.

     "Let me do this Nik, let me save her." Klaus shook his head, "Even if I wanted to kill you I can't, you're an original, no normal stake can kill you." Cassie tightened her grip just slightly, "You're right, but I won't be much good if I don't have a heart. I will allow you, to rip out my heart." He looked down in disbelief, the witch behind them spoke up, "It's time Klaus, time for the werewolf." He looked back up at Cassie, she gave him a nod, taking a step away. The ring of fire lowered, Klaus stepped in, dragging Jules out of it and towards the rock where the alter was set up. Within a blink, he killed her. Cassie forced herself to look away. Though she had seen it many times before, she hated seeing Klaus kill people. That wolf may have deserved it, but it still didn't hurt any less.

     Cassie walked up to the alter, she sat down on the rock beside it, she looked at the scenery behind them, the beautiful moon, and the fire crackling so quietly. She sat there, playing with her rings. After a few more minutes Klaus came and sat next to her. They sat in silence, neither of them daring to say a word. Cassie sighed, Klaus looked at her, "You're ready to die aren't you?" Cassie looked back at him, tears filling her eyes, "I've been around so long, I just hit that point where I don't know if I want to do it anymore... I'm tired." She looked back down on the ground, "Can you answer me something? I want you to be honest with me as well." She nodded, keeping her eyes on the ground, "Back in 1001, after you had turned... did you truly love me? I don't mean a friend love I mean, a true love." She froze, bring her head back up her teary eyes locked on Klaus'. "I met Elijah first. I fell for him quickly, but when I met you... you changed everything. I loved you, more than you will ever know but then everything happened, you turned into the hybrid, then your mother put the curse onto you... you became ruthless Nik. I couldn't bare to watch. I buried those feelings deep, deep down. If you hadn't of turned... if you hadn't of triggered the curse... I would've chosen you in a heartbeat." A tear drop rolled down her cheek, Klaus brought his hand up, he used his finger to wipe her tear, his touch was so gentle and considerate.

     "I am so sorry I wasn't there for you Cassie May." Cassie shook her head, "Don't, now isn't the time for remorse." Cassie put her foreheads to his, letting her head rest against his. Slowly, he leaned his mouth in, their lips, barely touching, the minimal space between them was electric with energy. "It's time Klaus." The voice behind them caused Cassie to pull away, Klaus stood up, looking down at Cassie. She slowly pulled herself up. Her knees were weak, she felt as if she was weightless. Cassie took a deep breathe, they got on top of the rock. Looking her in the eyes, tears began to form in Klaus' eyes. He hated this with every fiber of his being. "Niklaus don't you dare touch her!" Elijah called out across the yard, Stefan wasn't far behind him. They made their way across the yard until both men came to a halt. The witch held her hand out, neither one of them moving a muscle. "You need to make the sacrifice now."

     "It's time." Cassie took his hand, guiding it up to her chest. She placed it right on her heart, she held his hand just a little bit longer. Tears were streaming down her face, they didn't stop but none of it mattered. She could hear Elijah and Stefan's pleas for help, the crackling of the fire, but everything went silent. Her vision focused in on Klaus, all of the other sounds drowned out. He was the only thing she thought of. "Please don't make me do this Cassandra." She tightened her grip on his wrist, she smiled, "It's ok, I'm not scared. One day, in the far far future we'll see each other again. Everything will be alright Nik." A tear drop fell from his eye, he pulled her in close, holding her tight with one arm around her waist. He hand one hand at his side.

     He pulled his arm back. The hand shook, Cassie could sense his worry, she dug her head into him deeper, "Always and forever." It was the final straw, Klaus pulled his hand back and drove it into her chest. Cassie let out an agonizing cry, the sensation was unlike anything she felt before. She could feel his hand inside her, his hand gripped around her heart, his fingers digging into the sides of it, she sighed. This was it. This was death. The pain faded, and everything went black. For the first time, in over 1000 years. Cassandra May Salvatore felt true peace. Nothing. Blackness, pure darkness. Not a sound, not a feeling. Absolutely nothing. Pure bliss.