Chapter 23

Cassie had dreams often. As a witch they were so powerful, each one with a meaning. This also meant her nightmares were vivid, always leaving her thinking for days on end. There was one that was always reoccurring though, Elijah dying. It was the same thing. They would be walking down the streets, when someone would come and stab him in the back with a white oak stake. The worst part about it was that she could feel the pain. A splintering feeling as she watched him die. She watched as the stranger stuck it deep into his back, the end poked out of his chest. He reached his hand out towards Cassie, a choked gasp escaped him. She felt the deep burning sensation in her heart, Cassie cried out. "Elijah!" She could barley get the one word out, she tried to scream but nothing came out. Her throat was dry, like sandpaper. Her scream was hoarse, the pain in her chest only getting worse.

Cassie felt a shaking feeling, suddenly she was pulled out of the dream. She was screaming, her body felt as if it was on fire. "You're alright love, it was just a nightmare, just a nightmare." A pair of hands were grasped around her arms, a sob escaped her lips. She focused on the figure in front of her, Klaus seemed worried, his eyes were wide and he seemed shaken up. "It's fine. Everything is alright." Cassie couldn't seem to catch her breathe, "I'm so- I'm so sorry. I just..." She trailed off, reaching her shaking hand up she wiped the sheen of sweet from her forehead. "Don't you dare apologize." He rubbed his hand up and down her arm, trying his best to soothe her. She took a deep breathe in, slowly letting it out. Cassie looked at the room around her, it was still dark out, "You can go, I'm alright." Klaus stilled in his movements, "Are you sure?"

She paused, then shook her head, "Please stay." He nodded, pulling her into a hug. Cassie rested her head against his chest, he kissed the top of her head. Holding her as tightly as he possibly could, his words were almost silent, not even Cassie could her them. "I've got you." She finally got control of her breathe, letting a long sigh out, "I'm so sorry." He chuckled, "Stop apologizing, it happens to the best of us." She shook her head, "It doesn't happen to the strong ones." Klaus looked down at her, "It does because it means they have something worth being scared for." Cassie pulled away, looking up at him, "Do you ever get nightmares?" He looked away, then back at her, "Once in a great while, yes." She forced a smile, "How do you get through them? I've been alive for over a thousand years and yet here I am. One stupid little nightmare and I'm on the verge of a mental breakdown." He smiled at her words, "I don't get many nightmares, nothing for me to be scared for. I'm not the best person to be asking advice for on this matter."

"What are your nightmares about?" Klaus stopped, "You want the honest answer to that?" She nodded, he sighed, "You." She froze, not being able to find the right words. "But..." Cassie looked down, he took his finger, lifting her chin back up to face him, "I meant it when I said I loved you Cassie May. Don't you ever doubt that. Now I don't want you to say anything or do anything that you wouldn't-..." With that Cassie grabbed his face, pulling him in and pressing his lips against hers. His movements stilled, for a moment he was frigid, until he put his hands on either side of her face. Cassie put a hand on top of his, the feeling sending shivers done her spine. Butterflies erupted in her stomach, her mind went numb. He eventually pulled away. With his eyes still closed he touched his forehead against hers. "I've waited centuries for that." The numb feeling faded as she brought herself back to reality, "We are terrible for each other, you have to know that."

"I know, but I could never get enough of you." Cassie pulled away, looking him deep in the eye, "We both know we can't be together." She intertwined her fingers with his, "I know. Just let me dream for a moment." Cassie began to cry, she didn't know why but when it hit her she didn't stop, "I still love him. I hate myself for it. Why do I still love him?" Klaus wiped her tears, "Because you Cassie, are the best out of us all. You care. It makes you weak." Her face dropped, he gave her a smile, "It makes you who you are, you're special in every way. Your emotions are also what make you the strongest woman I've ever known. It's the reason you have those pesky nightmares. You care so much, another reason I love you." The words hit her like a punch to the face, only because he was right. That dick was right. She cared so much, and that, would forever be her weakness. Cassie stared down into her lap, "I wish I could turn it off. The humanity, just flip the switch. Everything would be so easy, so black and white."