Chapter 24

TW: Blood and gore

As they walked through the woods Cassie groaned, "Why the hell are we going to this bar anyway? Especially when it's in the middle of nowhere." Damon sighed, "Because Klaus said he had a plan and told us to meet here." Cassie pushed a branch out of her path, ducking slightly, "It's called a car, look it up." Jeremy chuckled, "I promise we aren't far." Twigs snapped under their feet as they approached the rugged bar. The neon light was flickering, a few of the letters completely out. "Isn't this... cozy." She opened the door as a smell flooded her nose. It was a mixture of blood and mold. Cassie gagged, "Oh my lord what died?" She took another look around, bodies laid scattered around the bar. Brocken necks, blood everywhere. "Allow me to revoke that statement." The boys walked in behind her, "Oh god." Matt made a face of disgust. Klaus stood up from the bar, "I am taking care of this eluding problem we have at our hands. Jeremy needs to kill vampires to allow his mark to grow." Klaus held his hands out, pointing to the bodies around them.

"This has got to be a joke. Seriously Niklaus?" She looked around at the vampires slowly awakening. "I suggest getting started little Gilbert. They're hungry and Matt here is the only human around." Cassie's jaw dropped, "I'm human you imbecile!" Klaus paused, "You're also a very powerful witch, you can hold your own, little Matt here cannot. All the more motivation for Jeremy here to kill these very thirsty vampires." Cassie rolled her eyes, "This is insanity! We had a perfect plan and there you go, taking matters into your own hands!" The vampires around them began to wake, rubbing their heads and looking around in confusion. Cassie grabbed Matt's arm, "We need to get back to the house, now." He nodded, she looked at Damon, he gave her a look of approval. She dragged Matt out of the bar, running back to the house.

     Branches snapped underneath them as they ran from the bar. Running for what felt like forever Cassie turned around, Matt wasn't far behind her, he looked exhausted. "We need to keep moving! For a football player, your stamina sucks." He rolled his eyes, a crack in the branches made Cassie stop. "Matt stop moving." He froze in his spot, "If there's a noise we need to keep moving." She held her hand up, "Just shut up!" Another crinkle of leaves came from somewhere behind them. Cassie whipped her head around, "Matt run." He looked at her, "Are you insane? They'll come running after me." Cassie grabbed his arm, "Not if they have a snack right here. Go!" Matt grit his teeth but obliged, he ran, towards the direction of the house. Cassie stood in the small clearing, "Well come on! Come get me bitches!" A swoosh came from her right side.

     A hand attached to her neck, the vampire gripped her neck. She let out a choked cry, "Imperium fluctus malleus." She could barely get the words out, but the vampire dropped her. He gripped his chest, the anticipation made Cassie wince, when suddenly his body burst. Blood splattered all over her, Cassie was quick to shut her eyes. When she opened them there was nothing but a pile of mush in front of her. "I'm gonna vomit." She swallowed hard, something dripped down her head. She reached for whatever it was, when she pulled it away she examined it closely. A piece of skin. "In my hair? Seriously?" She shuddered, dropping it to the ground. Cassie looked around, not a thing in the woods moved. Cassie made a dash towards the lake house, she didn't stop, running as fast as she possibly could.

Leaves crunched under her, branches snapped as her boots hit them. Running on pure adrenaline she could see the lake house. Her foot hit a jagged rock, a snapping noise sounded out and pain shot up her leg as she cried out in pain. She fell against a tree, she held onto it for dear life. Something swooshed behind her and she called out again, "Matt?" Cassie could see the lake house, the door was wide open, she could barely breathe. The pain in her leg was excruciating, her body began to heat up, sweat was dripping from her forehead. A shadow came from behind the door, Jeremy looked out, staying inside the house, "Jeremy!" Cassie cried it out, her hands gripped the bark tightly, splinters digging into her fingers. "Cassie?" Jeremy called out, he looked around frantically, "Where are you?" Cassie took a deep breathe, her right leg was slowly going numb, she pushed herself off the tree. Cassie dragged herself towards the house, "Jeremy!" He spotted her, quickly running out of the house.