Chapter 34

Cassie went through her stuff, shirts and pants flying across the room. "Marcellus!" She huffed and waited for a response, the door came flying open, "Is everything alright?" His voice was full of concern, she simply rolled her eyes, "I thought they were bringing my bags over. I have nothing to wear." Marcel laughed, "They have other things to worry about Mama Cassie." Cassie dropped her arms, "Yeah yeah, running a city and what not. Why are Avery and I staying here anyway? I'm perfectly capable of keeping myself safe." He smirked, "Oh I know, but you and your kids are 100 times safer with me and an army in front of you. No one is going to touch either of you under my watch, you got that?" Cassie blushed, "I know that, but it makes me worried about who you may be protecting me from." He shrugged, "No one in particular, just trying to keep the family safe." Cassie went and wrapped an arm around his waist, he pulled her into his side, giving her a tight squeeze.

     "I want you to feel at home here, and safe. No offense to any of the originals but if you want to stay safe it's most likely not going to be with them." Cassie sighed, she hated it but he was right. "You have a good point, I just hate to admit that." He chuckled, running his hand up and down her upper arm, "Oh I know, you just hate me being right." Cassie elbowed him in the rib, not hard, but enough to send her message, "Shut it." He bumped his hip into hers, making her stumble slightly, "Seriously?" They both began to laugh, Marcel took a deep breathe, "I'll get one of my guys to get your stuff, alright?" She nodded and smiled at him before he left the room.

     Marcel had decided that he wanted Cassie to stay at the compound with him. After learning of the argument with Klaus he didn't want her to leave his sight, he had extended the olive branch even more when he offered Avery to join her. It took some convincing but he eventually obliged, deciding it was the best option in terms of her safety. Cassie hated everyone catering towards her, she could handle herself that was certain, yet everyone seemed to walk around her as if she was made of glass. Cassie put her hand on her stomach and groaned, "This is going to sound weird... but I'm really excited to meet you two. You bring me a sort of peace, something that is hard to find in this sort of world. I guess what I'm trying to say is thank you..." The room was silent, it's not like she was expecting a response but the silence still weirded her out. Cassie rubbed her stomach, as she looked in the mirror she realized she had begun to show. She didn't expect it this early, it might just be the whole twin thing, considering she's growing two babies inside of her.

     Too wrapped up her in thoughts Cassie didn't even notice the commotion behind the door of her bedroom. Cheers and yelling could be heard, when she opened the door the sound only got louder. As she peered over the balcony she saw the center of complex crowded with vampires. Her breathe caught in her throat, a hand held onto her shoulder, she turned and saw Marcel, he flashed her a grin. "What do you think?" She looked back at the crowd, suddenly all the eyes hard turned towards her and Marcel. Cassie's face turned beat red, all eyes were on her. "Ladies and gentlemen! Tonight you are all here to fight for your right to stay in this city! To fight for the right, for one of these!" He held his hand up, the daylight ring twinkling in the dim light. "On another important note! This here is Cassandra Salvatore, as many of you may know she is very close to me, as well as her boy Avery Beckett. None of you shall lay a hand on either one of them, and if I hear of any sort of conspiring, I won't hurt you. I'll have her do that, then you'll wish you'd have to deal with me." Cassie waved at the crowd, she gave an awkward smile, the feeling of their eyes burning into her skin.

     Marcel squeezed her shoulder as a sign of reassurance, "Now, let's get this party started!" The crowd erupted into cheers, the center of the crowd slowly dispersed as two vampires stepped into it. A giant man and a smaller woman, they began fighting and Cassie's eyes widened, "What the hell are they doing?" Marcel didn't move his head, "Fighting for a daylight ring, if someone catches my eye, they can earn one." She stayed silent as she watched the people fight, going in and out, necks being snapped, the violence made her sick. "I'm going to go out for a little while, I'll be back." Marcel touched her arm, "Where? I'll come with you." Cassie bit her lip, "I found a nurse who's willing to help, I don't think you're going to want to come, she'll stick things-..." Marcel waved his hand, "Alright! No more needs to be said, you stay safe though, ok?" She nodded and walked down the stairs, avoiding the massacre that was going on in the center of the complex.