Chapter 48

"I'm going to loose my mind! For the love of everything Elijah can we please... turn on some music?" The silence of the car was deafening, the only sound was the road underneath them and the occasional sound of her twins in the back. "Can't we just sit in silence? Like old times?" Cassie chuckled, "I hate old times." Elijah smirked at her comment, "You mean when we were together?" She looked out the window, at trees flashing by, "That's not the main reason and you know it. Forgive me but I'm sitting in a car with my ex boyfriend, with the children of my dead baby daddy and we're on the way to save my lovers child... who's also in the hands of my ex boyfriend's sister. Sorry if I'm not in a good mood." He raised an eyebrow and tilted his head towards her, "I apologize for asking." He reached his hand over and turned on the radio, classical music came pouring out of it.

The Tennessee Waltz came from the speakers and it made Cassie stiffen in her seat. "Turn it off..." Elijah groaned, "You were just begging me to turn on some music and now that it's on..." She quickly reached over and shut the radio off, silence filling the car once again. After a few minutes of silence Elijah finally adjusted in his seat, "That was Allison's song... wasn't it?" She lightly nodded and closed her eyes, "I'm sorry... I didn't mean to be so rude." He kept his eyes focused on the road in front of them, "Don't be sorry... you know I remember that day... walking into the bakery, you two singing and dancing to that song. Those were the good old days."

"I introduced her to my loved one, and while they were dancing, my friend stole my sweetheart from me..." Her voice filled the bakery, the sound echoing off the pale pink walls, Cassie giggled as she heard it, "My my, I haven't heard that song in ages. It's awfully old isn't it?" Allison blushed, "I'm sorry, I sing when I work. Helps keep me focus on the task at hand. Plus my mom loved that song. She would always sing it whilst she worked." Cassie smiled at the thought, "What was your mother like?" Allison kept kneading the dough, putting her entire upper body into the process. "I don't really remember, she died when I was fairly young. My father on the other hand he... he's the greatest, he's gentle and kind. I haven't spoken to him in years..." She furrowed her brows, listening to the words, "What happened to your mother?"

"She was... she was murdered, animal attack, she worked at one of the pubs, it was back in an alley way." Cassie stopped what she was doing, her heart skipping a beat, "W-when did she die?" Allison slowed in her movements, "1946... why?" She shook her head and swallowed down the lump threatening to burst in her throat, "No reason. Your father, you aren't close?" Allison sighed and got back to work, "No. He wanted me to run away and get married, have a family and I wanted to start my own business. We just fell apart after that... what about you? What was your father like?" Cassie stilled in her movements, a warm smile came to her face. "My father was... an amazing man. Atticus was his name. Much like yours my father was gentle, passionate, he taught me art and how to express my emotions through it." She looked over to see that Allison had stopped her work to listen in on her talking.

"He sounded like a great guy." Cassie nodded and smiled, "Sure was..." As the moment faded away both girls got back to work. "I remember the night and the Tennessee Waltz..." Cassie began singing, picking right up where she'd left off. "Now I know just how much I've lost." Allison chimed back in and they both started giggling, singing along and as happy as ever.

"Cass, wake up we're here..." She was startled awake by Elijah rubbing her shoulder, "How long was I out?" He shrugged and unbuckled his seat belt, "An hour or so..." Cassie rubbed her face, trying to get the sleep to wear off. She looked out the windshield to see an old, beat down dinner. "Really? Here, out of all places?" He slipped out of the drivers seat and made his way to the back, "Yes. It's inconspicuous, why are you so hesitant?" Elijah began to unbuckle the children's car seats, "Why? Look at it 'Lijah, it's a dump." He stopped and looked back up and into the passengers seat, "You haven't called me that in ages." She blushed at his notice to it, "Just forget it! Let's get this over with." Cassie opened the door and got out, helping Elijah get the twins out of the car.