Chapter 43

A/N: Sorry for the short chapter! Things will get better I promise!

"What are we going to do about the situation at hand Niklaus? She is... reckless and impulsive." Elijah sat in the booth of the dive bar, hand clenched around his glass of bourbon. "Speak for yourself brother, I've taken quite a liking to this new version of Cassie May." Klaus watched in amusement, Cassie was dancing in the middle of the bar's opening. Moving her hips and swaying to the obnoxiously loud rock music coming from the band. "We told her Marcel and Davina were both breathing and she couldn't bother to blink. This will become an issue and I would like to take care of it before it comes to a head." Cassie stumbled over, a smile clear on her face, "You boys gonna sit in this booth forever?" She raised an eyebrow and when neither one of them reacted she rolled her eyes. "Talk about boring." Elijah shifted uncomfortably, "We need to have a talk Cassandra."

She nodded, she looked over at the bartender, "Get me a bottle of bourbon!" The bartender nodded and began working away to find her one, "Alright talk, ah thank you." The bartender handed her a bottle, she popped off the top and began taking sips straight from the bottle. "Your children are somewhere out there and you are busy participating in debauchery rather than finding them." Elijah looked up at her, Cassie put the bottle down and her eyes went cold. "Here we go." Klaus awkwardly adjusted in his seat, "Do you remember the promise you made to me? That you'd protect my kids no matter what, why aren't you out there looking for them? Hm?" He stayed silent, "That's what I thought. Plus I have a plan, unlike some of you. I'm just waiting." Klaus scoffed, "A plan?" She nodded, "Yes a plan. Now, I'm going to eat people and party until the sun comes up. If you have a problem with it, the doors right over there." She walked away and went right back to the dance floor, weaving through the people to get closer to the stage. "Great job, I can really see her humanity. You did great brother!" Klaus slapped Elijah on the back.

***

Cassie wandered through the empty streets of New Orleans. Her boots hit the pavement, silencing any menacing ideas that might pop into her head. She lifted the beignet into her mouth and let the flavors hit her tongue. She sighed as she walked past a giant alley way. It was the same place Avery and Cassie had their first kiss. "Beautiful place isn't it?" She turned around to see a young boy standing there, his accent was thick and he had a tell tale smirk. "Guess you could say that... what do you want?" The kid shrugged, "Just pointing out the beauty of this city, and might I point out the beauty of the woman standing in front of me." Cassie chuckled, "What's your name?" He held out his hand, "Kaleb." She took it but instead of shaking her hand he brought it up to his mouth, kissing it lightly. "You're quite the charmer... you remind me of someone I used to know."

"Oh really? Should I be proud, or offended?" She smirked, "Offended. He was a prick." He raised his eyebrows at her comment, "Really? If he's anything like me then I'm sure he's a dashing individual." Cassie bit her lip and pulled her hand from his grasp, "You're acting is terrible. Hello Kol." He dropped his arm and rolled his eyes, "Well aren't you just a delight, hello Cassie May." She couldn't help but smile, "I take it the little witch Davina brought you back. Who else came back along with your sorry ass?" Kol put his hand over his heart, "My sorry ass? I'm offended." Cassie smirked, "Good. You're stalling, don't make me ask again." He licked his lip, his hand slowly falling back down to his side, "Hate to admit it but it was just I love. Why? Were you hoping for someone else to show their face?"

     "Even if they did it would most likely be in a different body. Now you were always a terrible liar Kol. Tell me the truth." She looked deep in his eyes to find the answer she was looking for. "Why should I tell you?" Cassie shot her hand out and gripped his throat, "Do you like having a your head attached to your body?" He quickly grasped her wrist, slapping down on it lightly, "Ease up!" Kol began coughing as her grip only tightened, "When I let you go, you're going to talk, understand?" He was quick to comply, nodding violently as she let him drop. "Bloody hell, what's got your knickers in a twist?" Cassie wiped her hand off into her jeans, giving him a small shrug, "Get to talking and I might just tell you... let's take a walk, shall we?"

***

"Now I'm here." Cassie nodded as she stared down at the white tiles beneath her. She insisted on taking Kol over to the bakery, somewhere she was safe from prying ears and eyes. "So when the vail dropped you, Esther, and Finn all hoped into new bodies?" He nodded, sipping on his black coffee, "Sounds about right. Neither Finn nor I had any clue as to her extracurricular's with you and the kids." Cassie sighed, "I want your help, Jennifer said that Esther convinced her coven to leave town. Why?" Kol adverted his gaze, Cassie sat up and leaned in, "If you know something you have to tell me Kol." His eyes met hers and he rubbed the back of his neck, "She might have let a bit of her plan slip, we didn't think anything of it though. After we first came back she said something about them coming back, that it won't be long before we get what we need."

She leaned back in her chair as his words sunk in, "Kol if you have any idea where they are..." He put his hand on hers, "I don't, if I did we'd be on our way there." Cassie pulled her hand away and stood up. "You should get going." Kol furrowed his brows, "You aren't going to ask me where she is?" Cassie shook her head, "No, because I already know. I've got a plan, I just need the right people to execute it. Your brothers aren't helping either." He smirked, "I see me being the fun brother hasn't changed, the rest of the lot are all just sticks in the mud." The door to the bakery opened, the smell of linen and bourbon hit her nose, making it scrunch. "Perhaps my invitation got lost in the mail, what have I missed?" Cassie rolled her eyes, "Your invitation wasn't lost you just weren't invited in the first place." Elijah smirked as his eyes traveled towards Kol, "And who might you be?" Kol stood up, clearly uneasy, "This is Kaleb, he's a witch friend helping me find the kids." Elijah nodded at her comment, he wasn't fully convinced and she could tell. "A witch friend? Last witch friend you had..." He trailed off and Cassie grit her teeth, "Finish that sentence, I dare you." Kol clapped his hands together to ease the tension, "I'll leave you two be."

When he went to walk out the doors Elijah put his hand in the way, stopping his efforts. Their eyes met in an intense stare before Elijah let him leave. The door swung shut and Cassie groaned, Elijah walked up and sat down next to her. He opened the button on his suit jacket, letting it flair out to the side. "Talk to me." His eyes met hers and she gave him a glare, "Why? Why the hell should I feel inclined to speak with you?" He leaned his body towards her, "Because we both know that that switch inside of you isn't working to the best of its abilities." Cassie raised an eyebrow, "Really?" He nodded, a cocky grin spreading across his face, "Yes." After a few moments of silence she bit her lip and looked down, "I'm scared Elijah..." He grabbed her face and made her look up at him, he swiped his thumb across her cheek, "It's alright, we will find them, I promise." A tear drop ran down her cheek, she sniffled and adverted her eyes.

Elijah stood up, pulling her right along with him. His arms gripped around her waist as he hugged her tightly. Cassie wrapped her arms around his neck, he sighed at her openness to the embrace. He almost didn't feel when her hands began to slip to the sides of his head, she gripped the sides of his head and gave a hard swipe. The snap sounded throughout the silent bakery, his body dropped to the floor, hitting the chair, letting it slide out of the way. Cassie shivered, she brushed off her shirt and licked her lips. "You always said I should've been an actress." She gripped Elijah by the collar of his suit, she placed him down in the chair. His body slumping down as she let him go. Cassie carefully brushed the dust from his suit and sighed, "He was right, you are a stick in the mud."