Chapter 22

Cassie awoke the next morning, she sat up, a splitting pain coming through her head. Maybe she did drink a little too much. She looked around the room when her eyes landed on Klaus who was dead asleep next to her. He was sprawled out, taking up most of the bed. She smiled, she didn't remember much of last night. Cassie looked down as she realized she was only wearing her undergarments. She took a minute, lightly rubbing her eyes. Cassie slowly crept out of the bed, she grabbed an over sized t shirt and threw it on over her. The sound of knocking came from the front door, she looked at Klaus, he didn't flinch. She made her way to the front door, when she opened there stood Stefan and Damon. "What can I do for you boys?" Damon smirked, "How do you feel about visiting New Orleans? We've got some questions that need to be answered." Cassie's eyes lit up, "You're really going back?" Stefan nodded, giving her a small smile. "What questions-..? It's the sire bond isn't it?" Damon's eyes went wide, "You know about it? How do we break it?" Cassie shrugged, "If I knew I wouldn't be standing here getting ready to go back to New Orleans. Now, I'll be right back."

***

She wrote Klaus a small note, explaining the situation and that she'd be back in a day or two. The idea of going back brought her nothing but pure happiness. Though she hadn't been back since the 60s, the darkest time in her life, she couldn't wait. She was dying to know how the bakery was running. The idea sent butterflies to her stomach. Mystic Falls brought her peace and a sense of belonging. But none of those feelings compared to the way she felt about New Orleans. She never thought you could fall in love with a city, yet here she was. She loved the people, the architecture, and the food. God the food was to die for. If Cassie had it her way she'd live there the rest of her life, settle down, buy a home and have kids there. She could run her bakery until she passed away, giving it to her kids, continuing the bakery through generations. Cassie thought about this as they entered the city. The twinkling of the city lights made her happy. The smile on her face was permanently stamped on, this feeling was unlike anything she'd ever felt.

It was almost night, she had begged Stefan and Damon to visit the bakery first. After many complaints, they finally obliged. She carefully opened the car door but didn't step out, too busy staring at the gorgeous building. It had not changed, the door was open, letting the cool night air in. The soft grey brick, slightly more worn than when she was last here. But the words above were the same, in gorgeous black cursive writing laid the name, Crème de la Crème. It took her hours to come up with the name, it means the very best. That's what she wanted, the very best. Best workers, best baked goods, and the best place in New Orleans. The overwhelming feeling in her stomach almost made her cry. She stepped out of the passenger seat, her eyes were glued onto the building in front of her, "You boys stay out here, I'll only be a few minutes." Damon rolled his eyes, "Fine but please get us some beignets, you had the best recipe." Cassie smiled, she shut the car door and walked inside the already open door.

"We're closing in a few minutes so I'd make it quick." The smell of baked goods hit her nose, she looked around at the place. The walls were still a pale shade of blue, she had the lady after her paint them blue. Just like Allison had requested. "Hey there, how can I help you?" She brought her attention to the man behind the counter. A warm feeling rose in her face as she looked at the man in front of her, "I apologize for the staring, I'm very familiar with this place." He shifted, a smile appearing on his face, "Surely it couldn't have changed that much, nothing has been moved since the 60s, as per the original owners request." Cassie giggled at that, "Yes well I think the lay out suits the place don't you think?" He nodded, "Oh agreed, I'm just saying." She took a few steps towards the counter, "And who might you be?" The man held his hand out, "Avery Beckett. I've been running this place since I was about 19 years old." Cassie shook his hand, "My name's Cassandra. I'm a family member of the original owner." Avery's eyes were locked onto hers.