Chapter 29

TW: Blood and gore

     Drip, drip, drip. The blood fell from her hands. Trickling from her mouth. The girl laid dead in front of her. Dress covered in blood, her head laying a few feet away. Cassie looked down at her and smiled. The door opened and there stood Elijah, he looked at the girl, then at Cassie. "What is the meaning of this?" She shrugged, "I was hungry, way to crash the party." She looked down, her dress was soaked. "The funeral is soon, might I suggest you change before we depart." She nodded, her eyes locked on the girl in front of her. Elijah shut the door, leaving Cassie in silence. The funeral was for the governors son, he died after Klaus pushed him down a stair well. Rebekah was heart broken, she claimed he was the love of her life. Though Cassie loved Rebekah she knew that wasn't true. She quickly changed into another black gown, fixing the curls in her hair and wiping the blood from her face, arms, and hands.

***

The service was beautiful, plenty of people coming to mourn over his death. As they walked down the long dirt path Cassie heard a noise. She looked to her right, a man sat on top a horse. The sound of a whip hitting something made her flinch. The whip hit a little boy, he couldn't have been older than 12. Rage filled her body as she watched, Elijah grabbed her wrist, "Cassandra, don't." She pulled away and walked over to the scene in front of her. As they whip came down she grabbed the end of it, "That's enough don't you think?" The man on the horse looked at her, scoffing, "Get in your place little lady." She raised an eyebrow, "Wrong answer." As he went to smack it down on her, she pulled the whip from his grasp, the force so strong it brought him to the ground. Cassie walked up to him, wrapping the whip around his neck. "Not so big and powerful now are you?" She tightened it, his skin burning at the friction, Cassie mustered her strength, with one quick snap. A thud came, his head had hit the ground and rolled down the small hill. Cassie dropped the whip and smiled, "What goes around always comes back around."

     She walked over to the boy in front of her, she knelt down and looked up at him, "Are you alright darling?" He nodded, "I'm fine..." Cassie gave him a smile, he seemed on edge as he looked over at the man. "You're one of them aren't you? The night walkers, the thing terrorizing the men of this town?" Cassie smirked, "So you've heard of me?" He nodded, "They think I don't understand them, they talked about you. Slayer of men. Are you gonna kill me?" Cassie put a hand on his shoulder, "No, no. Listen to me, I kill those who deserve it, you certainly do not deserve such fate. I will keep killing those who ever try and harm you like that again. What's your name?" He looked down, "Don't got one. My momma said she'd name me after my 10th birthday but the flu got to her before she ever could." She sighed, turning her gaze towards her family, still standing on the road in disbelief. Klaus had a look of pride on his face, "What do you say Niklaus? What's a name fit for a prince?" Klaus walked up, looking at the boy. "Marcellus. It means little warrior." Marcel smiled, "I like it." Cassie looked up at Klaus, "I think it's perfect."

     She awoke, tangled in bed sheets. Cassie groaned as the light hit her eyes, she turned around to see Avery asleep next to her. A smile appeared on her face as she looked at him. He laid shirtless, arms wrapped tightly around her waist. He seemed so peaceful like this. Cassie carefully untangled herself, she threw on one of his sweaters and walked into the kitchen. She poured herself a glass of orange juice, Cassie was never a morning person. Not really her thing. Cassie sipped on the orange juice when she heard a groan come from the hallway, Avery walked in, his eyes were barely open, his hair all messy. "Morning sunshine." He let out a huff, "Morning." She giggled, "Not a morning person either?" He opened up the fridge, scanning the contents inside, "Not at all." Cassie smiled, sipping on the bitter contents of her cup. "Had fun last night though." He turned towards her, a smirk on his face. She blushed, "As did I."