Chapter 16: The Exposed Truth

Sitwell entered the main control room and got the attention of all of the agents. On the center screen was a picture of Captain America and Batman.

"Eyes here," Sitwell said. "Whatever your op is, bury it. This is Level One. Contact DOT. All traffic lights in the district go red. Shut all runways at BWI, IAD and Reagan. All security cameras in the city go through this monitor right here. Scan all open sources, phones, computers, PDAs. Whatever. If someone tweets about these guys, I want to know about it."

Sharon Carter, who didn't understand what was going on with the situation since she had only been given pieces of the larger chess board said, "With all due respect, if S.H.I.E.L.D. is conducting a manhunt for Captain America and the Dark Knight we deserve to know why."

"Because he lied to us," The voice of Secretary Alexander Pierce said, as he gained the agents and staffs attention. "Captain Rogers has information regarding the death of Director Fury. He refused to share it. As difficult as this is to accept, he is a fugitive from S.H.I.E.L.D.. The Batman was also present at the time of Director Fury's death. As of now, our intelligence believes that he was the prime suspect."

He let the information sink in as Pierce then told them that they could continue with their work. "Sir?" One of the agents asked, getting Pierce's attention.

"Have you found them?" Pierce asked the agent.

"No. Roger's suit was found in a school gym and there has been no sighting of the Batman. He mainly operates at night, so the possibility of catching him during that time is high," The agent told him, as Pierce shook his head.

"Regardless," Piece told the agent. "Keep searching. I want Captain Rogers dead or alive. As for the Batman, keep him alive. Has there been any sighting of the Riddler?"

"Not since a few days ago, sir," The agent said.

Steve Rogers walked in the hallway of the hospital. He was going to where Y/N had told him that they would wait from him. He was wearing sweatpants and a navy blue hoodie with the hood up as a disguise. He stood in front of the vending machine that was in the hallway. He thought that Y/N might hide the USB in the vending machine that way he could also get some kind of disguise, after all Y/N Wayne with S.H.I.E.L.D.'s number one target would raise questions.

He didn't see the drive in the case as he realized who bad of an idea that was.

No wonder Fury gave it to Y/N, Steve thought as he then heard a popping sound behind him.

Using the glass's reflection, he was able to see who it was.

It was Yelena.

Steve pushed her into a unused room, slamming her against the wall and taking his hood down. "Where is it?" He asked.

"Safe," Yelena told him.

"Do better."

"Why do you know Bats had it?"

"Why would I tell you?"

"Fury gave it to him. Why?" She asked wanting to see if he trusted her, since she already knew.

"What's on it?"

"I don't know."

"Stop lying!" Steve said as he held her arms tighter.

"I only act like I know everything, Steve," She told him.

"I bet you knew Fury hired the pirates, didn't you?"

"Well, it makes sense. The ship was dirty, Fury needed a way in, so do you."

"I'm not gonna ask you again," Steve said, as his grip tightened and he shoved her back again as the door to the room they were in opened for Steve to see Y/N and Natasha wearing hoodies. Y/N also had glasses and a mustache as he slide his phone into his pocket.