Chapter 33: Worse for Us

During the night of Harvey Dent being 'killed' and the Joker's capture, Peggy Carter had passed away in her sleep. The funeral was the same day that Natasha would have to sign the accords, that way the lie that Y/N, Gordon, and herself made would be alive. And Gotham's mob would be put away, or at least a big majority of them.

Y/N, Natasha, Steve, Alfred, and Sam sat in the pews as the ceremony continued, even with Sharon Carter sharing a few words.

"Margaret Carter was known to most as a founder of S.H.I.E.L.D, but I knew her as Aunt Peggy," She said.

Y/N noticed Steve's surprised look on his face from the corner of his eye. This news didn't surprise Y/N though, he had known for a few years already.

"She had a photograph in her office, Aunt Peggy standing next to JFK. As a kid, that was pretty cool. But it was a lot to live up to," She said as she looked at Steve. "Which is why I never told anyone we were related."

"I asked her once how she managed to master diplomacy and espionage in a time when no one wanted to see a woman succeed at either. And she said, compromise where you can. But where you can't, don't. Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right. Even if the whole world is telling you to move, it is your duty to plant yourself like a tree, look them in the eye and say no, you move."

And right now, Steve took those words to heart.

After the funeral, Steve and Alfred stayed in the church. They looked at old pictures over her as they reminisced about World War II, the friendships and bonds that were forged during those times.

Eventually, Alfred left and it was just Steve. A few minutes later Y/N and Natasha when back into the church as Steve turned to them.

"When I came out of the ice, I thought everyone I had known was gone," He said as he looked at Peggy's picture. "Then I found out Alfred was alive... Then found out she was alive. I was just lucky to know that everyone wasn't gone."

"She had your back, too," Natasha said.

"So does Alfred," Y/N added. "He has both of ours."

"Are you going to sign?" Steve asked, changing the topic.

"Well, I don't have to," Y/N answered, speaking about Y/N Wayne and not Batman.

"What about your other identiy?" Steve asked.

Y/N shook his head. "I can't," He said thinking about how Rachel and Harvey died. Those deaths were on his hands. Signing the accords would be a slap in the face to them. "But keep it between us for now. Batman can't deal with the politics of things right now."

Steve nodded. He already knew why Natasha was going to sign now, since she initially agreed with his side. He understood why and respected it.

"Who else did?" He asked.

"Tony, Rhodey, Vision," Natasha answered.

"Clint?" Steve asked.

"Retired," Y/N answered. "Or at least trying to be. Felicia's not signing them either."

"Wanda and Pietro?"

"TBD. We're off to Vienna for the signing," Natasha added, not liking the face of what she had to do but sucked it up for the time being.

"The Joker and Rumlow were connected to this, though," Y/N told them. Someone wanted the accords to become a reality to divide us. Whoever it is, they used them to start the fire."

"So who's the puppet master?" Steve asked.

"I don't know. I just have a feeling that something is going to happen at the signing," Y/N added. "I hope I'm wrong or else things will get worse for us, and fast."