Chapter 52: I Want You to Remember

The team had reappeared a few moments after they had left for Oliver and the others that had stayed behind. Their time travel suits were deacticated as Tony held a briefcase containing the Tesseract, Scott holding the scepter, Rhodey holding the Power Stone, Rocket having the Aether, and Banner having the Time Stone.

"Did we get 'em all?" Banner asked.

"Are you telling me this actually worked?" Rhodey added with a smile.

Y/N marched off of the platform of the Quantum Tunnel as he threw his cowl to the ground as Yelena fell to her knees. Y/N walked past the others, slambing the Stone onto the console of the time travel device before leaving the hanger bay. Oliver and those that stadied behind let him be, having empty expressions on their faces.

The members on the platform looked at the other three after Y/N had left. Banner realized that someone was missing.

"Where's Alfred?" Banner asked.

Steve dropped his shield as he went over to Yelena and hugged her, trying to comfort her loss while the team moral hit a new found low point.

Some members of the team were at the dock by the lake as the loss of Alfred Pennyworth was still on their minds. Steve sat on a bench, with Y/N and Yelena on each side of him. Y/N looked out to the water while everyone else was also nearby.

"Do we know if he had family? Other then Yelena?" Tony asked.

"Yeah. Us," Steve answered.

"What?" Thor asked as he went up to them. "What are you doing?"

"What?" Steve asked back.

"You are all acting like he's dead," Thor added. "Why are we acting like he's dead? We have the stones, right? As long as we have the stone, Cap, we can bring him back. Isn't that right? So stop this shit. We're the Avengers. Get it together."

"We can't get him back," Clint chimed in.

"Wha... what?" Thor asked turning to the archer.

"It can't be undone. It can't."

Thor let out a small laugh, as he was still in denial of the whole situation.

"Look, I'm sorry, no offense, but you're a very earthly being, okay? And we're talking about space magic. And can't seems very definitive. Don't you think?" Thor asked.

"Yeah, look, I know that I'm way outside my pay grade here. But he still isn't here, is he?" Clint asked as he stood up.

"No, that's my point."

"It can't be undone," Clint replied with his voice raised. "Or that's what the red, floating guy had to say. Maybe you wanna go talk to him, okay? Go grab your hammer and you go fly and you talk to him!"

Thor stayed quiet. He nodded and looked back down.

"It should've been me," Clint said as he left his head drop. "I could've stopped him."

Y/N punched the bench on the side of him where no one sat. The force of the punch made his nuckles bleed as the bench was stained with his blood.

"Alfred realized it before we did," Y/N spoke. "No matter what, one of us was going to have to die for that stone. We have to make his sacrifice worth it. We have to."

Steve got up from his seat and looked at Y/N. "We will."

Y/N, Tony, Banner, and Rocket took the next day to make the nano-gauntlet to hold the six Infinity Stones. When it was ready the whole team was called to the lab. Everyone was there, except Nebula and the son of Steve and Yelena, who was currently staying with Pepper at the Stark cabin after Y/N was able to convince them if something went wrong.