Chapter 54

____________________________________

The chaos that went on in the hospital was lamentable and it became that much more unbearable due to Jade's sudden absence. Kinsey developed a heightened awareness of what surrounded her: the rows of seats filled with helpless, sickly people desperate to be treated by a stranger in a white coat, hoping that they would give enough of a fuck to treat them. She hoped that Jade knew that she gave so many fucks about her. The guilt that came with not running after the brunette rested on the blonde's chest for the rest of her brief stint at the hospital.

It was pathetic really, for the blonde to be comparing Jade to these people in any way but it was unavoidable. In her immovable state, Kinsey obsessively pondered on the different ways that Jade could be coping with the news of her pictures being out there. What terrified her the most was that Kinsey wasn't sure. She wasn't sure how Jade would react to the news and that gave her the most anxiety. She didn't want to think the worst, but how could she not?

Did Jade feel like all eyes were suddenly on her as if she were a freaking pariah or something? Did she feel alone and helpless like some of the people in the hospital waiting room?

Could it be any more obvious that this whole thing drove Kinsey nuts? Her mind was clouded with thoughts of damnation towards the world and all of its shortcomings. The blonde couldn't comprehend how the world possessed people who were ruthless enough to ruin others just for the heck of it.

In addition to her sordid thoughts, the male doctor had diagnosed Kinsey with a severe case of muscle strain that could have been caused by consistent stress placed on her body, especially her legs. As the physician elaborated on the diagnosis, the blonde sat there empty, disregarding the man's words as she chose to relive several moments where her injury may have taken place. The multiple times where she had sprinted through intense cramps and sore calves flashed in her memory.

I'm a dumb-fuck.

The doctor decided that the best course of treatment would be rest, ice, compression, elevation, and bandaging. The doctor strictly advised that the blonde refrain from any intense activity for the next six weeks if she wanted to fully recover and be in shape for football next year at Alabama.

The doctor had only become aware of her enrollment status because Mrs. Scott couldn't hold back from mentioning Kinsey's recent admission to the school. She innocently and obliviously droned on about her daughter's successes, keeping the doctor in the room for an additional ten minutes.

Despite that, the bottom line was that Kinsey Scott would not be playing at nationals. The verdict was soul-crushing nonetheless but the blonde couldn't seem to find it in herself to feel the disappointment as intensely as she would have been expected to. Her mind was fixed on her girlfriend and how she had to identify herself in those pictures and relive those horrid memories. The pain Jade tried to hide was discernible for Kinsey, an expert on the many facial expressions that Jade Hill possessed.