Chapter 56

____________________________________

"Doll-face, I missed ya. Where ya been all day?" Kinsey dotes brightly, strolling over with her hands stuffed in the deep pockets of her dad jeans. They are most likely her dad's jeans. The dark wash denim jeans are cuffed at the blonde's ankles since they are too big on her. Mr. Scott was a hefty man but he had some height on him.

"You call me that again and I won't hesitate to strangle you," Jade quips, standing at Kinsey's side, fighting the fit of butterflies that always fill her stomach in Kinsey's presence.

"I don't know... that kind of sounds like a fun night," Kinsey gently whispers beside Jade's ear. Kinsey bends over slightly to get close enough for Jade to hear. The brunette immediately loses feeling in her knees at the suggestion, imagining what that would look like.

Get your head out of the gutter, perv.

Kinsey smiles wholeheartedly, sending puckered lips in her girlfriend's direction. "You're kinda cute when you attempt to threaten me. You have such a way with words."

Kinsey makes the statement fully aware that they have an audience. She knows that she has to act as if she hadn't just turned on her girlfriend.

The blonde feigns a sarcastic dreamy expression at the brunette, fluttering her lashes excessively, smiling wide with a closed mouth.

Jade rolls her eyes and rises on the tips of her toes to grab the point of Kinsey's chin to plant a brisk peck on the plump, unsuspecting lips. The arrogance is wiped from Kinsey's face as the tenderness and taste of Jade's vanilla-glossed lips coat hers.

Kinsey forces her eyes open to snap herself out of the spell that Jade places her under every time they physically connect. Even after nearly three months of being together, Kinsey feels butterflies every fucking time Jade touches her.

Kinsey would tease Jade with some more inappropriate jokes, but the brunette's entourage is here, making Kinsey restrain herself. The blonde bites at the corner of her lip as a reminder to behave.

One of these days, it's going down.

"When do you think you'll be back on the field?" Alexander inquires as the group of four takes seats on the steel benches. Jade sits closely beside her girlfriend, resting her head on the blonde's shoulder while Alexander and Lucie sit directly behind the pair in the next row.

The pair of best friends could have been mistaken for a couple if Alexander hadn't shoved Lucia's head away with his large hands as the strawberry blonde tried to mimic Jade's position on her girlfriend.

Lucia huffs and pouts childishly at her best friend, crossing her arms over her chest. She sticks her tongue out at him before pulling her eyes away from him.