Chapter 29

____________________________________

This is how the planned meeting came about.

The intrusive strawberry blonde blew up Jade's phone with multiple texts asking about the brunette's whereabouts and dramatically complaining about how bored she was in class without her.

But of course, the brunette initially ignores the texts, hiding deeper beneath her bedsheets expecting the text messages to stop at some point.

But they never do.

Jade decided to reply after the twentieth message since the constant buzzing disrupted her attempts at slumber. After she simply replied "at home", Lucia called, demanding to come over after school. She wouldn't give up until Jade succumbed to her dedication. Jade begrudgingly said yes as her eyelids fluttered in fatigue. After hanging up on the phone with Lucia, Jade wondered if Lucia decided to work that hard at her schoolwork, would the strawberry blonde have success academically?

Jade gave in, desperate for sleep but also desperate for a friend. It's been a while since she's had one of those. It would be nice to have someone else around to make her laugh. Yeah, she'll admit that Lucia's extravagant personality can make her laugh at times. Jade finds Lucia's kookiness entertaining, but no one would be able to tell with how she reacts to the girl's odd tendencies. She usually laughs on the inside.

After having brunch with her sister, Jade is more open to the idea. I need to at least try to make one friend in this fucked town.

She is kind of nervous about the whole 'having people over her house' crap. It just makes her feel vulnerable, which is a feeling that makes her bones rattle in disgust and discomfort.

Even back in her old town, she never invited people over because she was afraid of how people would judge her highly dysfunctional family. Specifically, she didn't want people to meet her mother.

She remembers the last time someone her age came over. It ended with a crying girl, upset at why her own mother never told her that she had an evident lisp. Mrs. Hill was content with pointing the unique attribute out to the nine-year-old playmate. The lisp was something everyone ignored and accepted but, of course, it was Mrs. Hill's duty to inform the little girl, allowing the words to fall out of her mouth without thought. A common occurrence with Jacqueline Hill, that has convinced her family to believe it to be some sort of personality trait.

Before Jade knows it, her room is spotless with only having to pick up a few things off the ground. Her room was always clean, carrying a minimalistic aura to it. With a mother that constantly nags about cleanliness, how could she not be a clean-freak herself?

Suddenly, the piercing and unfamiliar sound of the doorbell dings throughout the residence. Jade stops in her motions before immediately jogging out of her bedroom.