Chapter 6

____________________________________

The chilly fall breeze along with the darkness of the night threatens to consume Jade whole. Each passing cycle of wind tries its best to knock the brunette off her feet as she saunters along the flawed sidewalk. The sidewalk that had weeds spilling through its cracks and grass standing overgrown on both sides.

The brunette began this trek to her home an hour ago after waiting countless hours for her mother to pick her up from school. With her father off on a business trip and her sister out with friends, there was no one else that could have picked her up.

Even though her sister adamantly insisted on dropping everything to go pick up her younger sibling from school, Jade lied, saying that their mother just pulled into the school, when in actuality, her mother called just seconds prior, informing Jade that she would be staying late at work. Not wanting to intrude on her sister at least having some sort of a social life. A life Jade never felt like she could have, especially constantly trying to live up to her parent's extraordinary expectations. She's always been the golden child. The child that would hide all the mistakes her parents made, by excelling in her academics. Because that's all that mattered. Just get good grades and don't exist. An unwritten motto Jade has lived by since grade school.

The aureate street lights glimmer on the brunette as she solemnly strolls, slightly kicking a pebble that's gotten in her way.

She decides to take on the mission of walking five miles to her house. Something that she has done before, countless times, due to her parent's inability to actually care.

Her arms cradle in one another as her soft hands gently rub the sides of her upper arms, trying their best to keep her warm.

The long black denim jeans with slight tears in them, protect her, while the coal-black short sleeve shirt barely covers her arms.

The dead of the night is evident as nothing can be seen clearly. Not even Jade, since her all-black attire allows her to blend into the night.

The only things that can be seen are the array of tall pine trees littering the other side of the two-lane road, marking the beginning of the vastly woods that lie beyond. The road, with two thick parallel yellow lines in the middle, remains empty, leaving Jade virtually alone. The only sound that can be heard is the deafening ring of the crickets rubbing their bodies against one another.

The sky is blank. No star in sight. No activity from other animals. Just complete emptiness.

Until a bright light shines from behind the walking brunette. Jade begins to tense up, still looking forward. Not daring to look back. Her thin legs increase the pace at which they shuffle past one another. Her heart rate increases as the bright light continues to follow her, along with the roaring sound of an engine.

She begins to think of which house she should hide behind so she can throw off the assumed predator. She is a girl walking alone in the near dead of night: she knows that this isn't a safe combination. This is the reality of her situation and she doesn't want to risk it, due to her wanting to see the best in people.

Her speedwalking rapidly increases, coordinating with her increasing heart beats. It becomes too much as she breathes in the frigid air. Her lips and throat become dry.

The car gets closer and closer. She can feel the vehicle gradually decrease in speed beside her. She doesn't dare look at the tinted windows as it pulls up beside her. She keeps facing forward until...

"Get in the car."

Jade stops in her tracks after processing the familiar female voice. It's as if the frigid air completely changes into warm air. Jade's palms begin to sweat involuntary as she turns to face the commanding female.

The blonde sits in the drivers seat of the same blazing crimson Mustang from earlier. Her arm remains on the leather steering wheel while her body faces the road ahead. She acts like she hasn't just demanded for the brunette to get into her car.

Jade stands there hesitantly looking at the empty passenger seat through the pulled down car window. She thinks to herself, coming to the conclusion that it's much better than having to walk the three excruciating miles, that she has left.

"A-Are you sure?" She coughs out still standing with her feet planted into the concrete. She looks down and focuses on fidgeting her unmanicured fingers: a nervous habit.

"Hurry up before I change my mind, kitten," Kinsey says gruffly as she continues to face forward.

Jade can't help but blush at the little petname. It probably didn't mean much to the blonde, but the brunette found it quite cute. She tries to hold back a slight smirk that creeps onto her face.

Jade steps down from the elevated sidewalk, heading towards the glossy red door handle of the vehicle. She slightly yanks the handle and situates herself into the leather seat, snickering.

"What's so funny?" Kinsey harshly questions, giving the brunette a side-eye.

Jade chuckles, "Kitten? Really?"

"What's wrong with that?"

"Nothing," Jade shrugs, "You just sound like a thirty-year old creep."

"Oh really?" Kinsey questions, looking slightly amused at the brunette's audacity.

"Yeah. You could've at least come up with something more endearing," Jade says, her eyes shutting close in pleasure as she melts into the seat warmers that were activated inside the car.

"Endearing? I guess you're not so shy anymore, Jade," Kinsey says all in all, smirking in the petite girl's direction.

The brunette nearly chokes on her spit. "You know my name?" She says softly as she gradually picks up her head from the leather headrest, looking at the blonde.

Kinsey realizes this mistake and coughs within her throat. "J-Just tell me where the fuck you live so I can drop your ass off."

Jade feels the discomfort so she immediately sits up right, becoming rigid and uncomfortable in the seat she once indulged in.

"Um... it's on 42nd and 3rd."

Without another word, Kinsey grips the steering wheel with both hands and accelerates forward towards the still empty road, disappearing into the night.

________<~>_______

There is more to come. Please follow and vote to give me some love. ❤️ Comment to let me know how you feel about this book so far.