Chapter 34

____________________________________

"Why couldn't the bicycle stand up by itself?"

Tracy scrunches her brows together in intense philosophical thought while Blaze places his finger on his chin as he looks off to the side and tries to have an answer magical appear.

"'Cause, it was two tired."

Their eyes slowly widen at the same time as the answer settles into the minds. Mr. Scott doesn't notice this as he becomes too busy with laughing at his own joke. Mrs. Scott lets out a conservative laugh, shaking her head at her husband.

The laughter of the entire family soon dies down after Mr. Scott's 30th dad joke of the night lands. The joke was just as bad as the many others that took center stage within the past 20 minutes. The younger children on the other side of the table seemed to genuinely fall for each and every joke, finding them each as fascinating every time while Jade uneasily smiled through each one.

Despite them being excruciatingly horrible, she finds it cute how much the father works so hard to make his kids laugh, of course subtracting Kinsey from that equation since she just sat there with her arms crossed and a blank expression on her face the entire time, finding no amusement in any of it.

Jade glances over at Kinsey. The blonde gives her a playful but intense eye roll to show her disgust. Jade chuckles, finding herself blushing just by looking at her. She is really attractive. The dirty blonde just gives off an air of attractiveness that makes Jade want to inch closer and closer to her.

Their chairs are a few inches apart but Jade finds her body somehow naturally shifting closer and closer to Kinsey every minute that passes.

All of a sudden, there is a faint vibration in the back pocket of Jade's jeans. She pulls out her phone and politely checks the text under the table while Mr. Scott is too occupied with setting up his next joke.

Mel
Hey babes, do you think you could catch a ride, tonight? Something for school just came up.

Jade bites the inside of her cheek while reading. She is confused as to what her sister has to do for school this late at night, but she shrugs off her confusion with a building annoyance due to the sudden inconvenience.

Shit, now I have to call a fucking Uber.

Kinsey squints down at Jade, catching a peek of her phone. Her eyes scatter and shift across the brightly lit screen as she secretively reads the text before Jade can notice. Once done, her eyes dart back up as Jade lifts her head up at the same time, as if on cue.

She silently observes the way the brunette frustratedly puffs out her cheeks and her shoulders slump when she sits back up in her seat before stuffing the phone back into her pocket.