Chapter 32

____________________________________

Jade squirms around in her seat as Melanie makes a right turn onto the street with neat rows of houses on both sides. The overall color scheme of soft yellows, browns, and maroons that make up the paint of the various homes come together in a weird sort of way, emphasizing the suburban essence of it all.

Jade's eyes are alert, glancing in every direction, observing the neighborhood of tight-knit houses standing side-by-side. The sight being classified as cute to Jade, being that she's only ever lived in larger homes that resided in the middle of nowhere. A decision often made on purpose by her mother's insistence on distancing herself and her family from people. You can say that the isolationist ideal extended itself into Jade's personality.

Melanie shuffles her shoulders a little to the faint sound of soft jazz music playing on the radio as she continues driving her younger sister to a friend's house. Jade thought it would be better to not tell Mel that she was going back to Kinsey's house since she wasn't in the mood to hear Melanie talk her out of it the entire car ride.

Jade and Kinsey decided it was best to get at the project right after school. So once Jade got out of the school building, she hopped into the car and told her sister that she had to go over a friend's house to get some help with an assignment. The sister simply accepted this and asked for the address to which Jade insisted on just verbally directing her on where to go, knowing that once she got the address she would recognize it from the last time she had to pick up her sister from the same location.

That's what got them here.

The Jeep gets closer to the home, each house swiftly passing out of sight due to the speed of the moving vehicle. Melanie squints her eyes as she sits up from her reclined seat, finding this street oddly familiar.

It is.

"You've got to be fucking kidding me," Mel expels letting her body fall back into the seat as her foot slowly lifts from the gas pedal.

Jade nonchalantly shrugs, maintaining the image of cluelessness as she prepares to hop out of the car in any second with her backpack in her lap and phone in hand.

"I'll be fine, Mel," Jade assures as the car comes to a complete stop in front of the driveway with two cars present. Kinsey's car and a golden beige minivan that basically screams middle-class suburban family to Jade. She remembers the car from last time so she assumes it to be Mrs. Scott's car.

Melanie looks at her sister in concern as both of her hands remain glued to the wheel. She huffs, rolling her eyes, "Okay, but if I pick you up and see a single fucking tear on the corner of your eye, I swear I'm fucking someone up." The seriousness displayed on her face and in her tone sends Jade into straight laughter. This being one of the few times anyone has been able to make her laugh in such a way. Her squeaky laughs perforate throughout the car as her head tilts backward.