Chapter 39

____________________________________

"Fuck you," Jade mutters emptily, but angrily under her breath.

"Excuse you?" The woman snaps, eyes averting over to the daughter on her left.

Jade holds an empty look as the words slide off her tongue again with a little more emphasis. "Fuck. You," she affirms, making sure her mother understands every syllable of what she is saying.

Her mother's eyes blink rapidly. She has no idea where this is coming from. Jade has always been the one to obey her wishes without combatants. A complete contrast from Melanie, who was never afraid to speak her mind against her mother.

Jade starts walking away, feeling completely over this interaction already. Remnants of adrenaline run through her veins from the high of saying something she's always wanted to say to her mother's face from all the years of straight disrespect, along with emotional and physical neglect. Her chest rises and falls as her arms feel on fire from the boiling blood rushing through her veins.

Her mother tries to compose herself from the shock. Her fingers gradually lift from the computer as she follows her daughter with intensity in her eyes. "I'd advise you to re-evaluate what you just said to me," she grits with a deep tone to her clear voice as she places both of her elbows on the bar, enveloping her hands in one another.

Jade freezes in her steps.

The part of her that has complied for years still causes her to feel anxious about her mother's dissatisfaction. Her palms become clammy as the confident shield she had begins crumbling, faltering to crumbs beneath her feet.

The memories flood in. All the words her mother has uttered that made her feel unworthy of being a specimen of this world. She's felt like shit for so long and she knows who is to blame for all of that, besides herself.

It's her mother.

For so long, Jade has blamed herself for existing. The weight of dread she's been dragging along with her for years was due to her mother's inability to be a caring mother. So, she isn't going to let her do it again.

She can't let her get away with it.

Jade spins her body around, face blank as she stares into the depths of her mother's hazel eyes. The same ones that were passed down to her, tying the two together, genetically.

"No, honestly fuck you. Fuck you for all the shit you've put me through, for making me feel less than," Jade starts, maintaining intense eye contact with her arms at her sides and her fingers fiddling around to relieve the annoying clammy feeling.

"What do you mean making you feel less than? I've made you stronger," the woman argues, appalled by such accusations. She silently goes through a reel of conversations she's had with Jade through the years, trying to pinpoint where she could have gone wrong. Sadly, the reel isn't too long as she can't recall having many conversations with her own child.