Chapter 55

____________________________________

"If you'd have been more attentive, she wouldn't have had to look someplace else for that attention. You're the one who gave her these 'mommy' issues!"

"Mommy issues? I'd suggest you use more suitable vocabulary the next time you attempt to blame me for anything related to our children. I've already admitted my fault in this, maybe you should try it sometime. It comes with lots of tears but it's well worth it!" Jacqueline hollers, throwing her hands in the air as a vein pulses out from the side of her neck. Her usual composure was gone with the wrinkles forming on her forehead. Jacqueline typically makes it a point to avoid scrunching any part of her face to avoid future sagging but her ex-husband always brought so much emotion out of her.

"You lecturing me on how to be a parent is ironic, Jacky. I was thee parent until you broke our family apart!" Damien Hill snaps back with frustration consuming his face in the form of a deep blush tone in his slightly chubby cheeks. His unkempt, bushed brows invert slightly, enough to exhibit discontent.

"You did that to yourself. No one stopped you from, at the very least, calling your daughter." Jacqueline frustratedly runs her hand through her disheveled hair hanging loosely down to her shoulders.

"I have!"

"No, you ignorant ass. I'm talking about your other) daughter. The one that isn't begging me for rent money to live with her new boyfriend," Jacqueline lowers her tone, staring daggers at the man whom she still has a love for, in disbelief. The pain communicates itself in the lowering of her brows.

Jade didn't know that Melanie had a boyfriend. I hope he doesn't sell drugs or threaten her like the last one... I miss Mellie so much.

Jade decides it's time to slam the door behind her. With one swift movement, the brunette forces a suffocating silence upon the nearly 4,000 square foot home. She had been standing at the door for a couple of minutes now, listening to the heated blame game playing out from the formal living room.

The parents snap their heads over to their daughter standing aloof in the foyer.

Jade is slightly taken aback by the intense looks served by her parents in her direction. The eyes focusing on her makes her want to disappear, especially when assuming they've seen the pictures already. Shame fills Jade's gut, making her want to vomit.

Her mother's deep brown eyes soften while her father's light hazel eyes coldly glare at her.

The sight sends an arrow through Jade's heart. She'd never seen him look so fierce before. To be honest, she hadn't seen him look much of anything besides upbeat and happy, but he appeared that way whenever he was leaving the house, probably going to hook up with his mistress.

Fuck him for looking at me like that.

"Jade, I wasn't aware that y-"

Scattered steps clatter across the hardwood floor. The steps cease once Jade stands before her father, barely two feet away. The brunette then squeezes her small body into the man's tall and lean stature. The tears fill her eyes without warning as she embraces her father. Her tears soak into his soft baby blue collared dress shirt. The natural warmth of his body surrounds her, insulating her.